Camels, Peloria, "Pantheons", Spiritual Journey

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 20:25:55 EST

Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz> South Peloria, Camels and Rams.

>Jane Williams:
>>Camels.
>
>Bliss in Ignorance IMO. The Bactrian (two humped) Camel lives in
>colder climes than the dromedary and is found in Central Asia, Tibet
>and Mongolia. The gloranthan analogue is Bliss in Ignorance which is
>known for being pretty strange.

I can just see the trolls there riding their camels, with the trollkin running along behind carrying their goods...NOT!

>David Millians:
>TERARIR: Technically part of the Sylilan Sultanate, this is the
> river valley surrounding the city of Jillaro. In ancient
>times, the city was known as Nivorah....

Aaaaah!!! No, no, no! Even discounting that I don't believe Nivorah ever actually existed at all, I am certain that Jillaro is NOT the same city. Some Dara Happans might claim that the older Jillaro ruins (mentioned in some source I can't recall) are Jillaro, the current city is only centuries old. And, as I said, I don't believe the story in GRoY about the Horse Peoples originating in a single city -- that is a Dara Happan explanation of the Pentans, since the Dara Happans have to explain everything in terms of their own mythology, of course. The horse peoples have a number of origins -- Pentans, Hyalorings, Galanini, etc.

>VANCH: It's not very hot on the Yelmalio
>religion as we know that there is no Sun Dome Temple in Vanch or
>near the Hills of Gold.

How do we know this -- what source? The only source I know of, the cult write-up itself, claims a number of temples throughout the Provinces.

>(*) Yes, the Other Portion. The Beast Portion belongs to the
> Selagern if you think I've got it wrong.

I am not even sure of that. Note that the Dome is the body of Gerra, according to one of Greg's stories. And, note that the Selagern is White in the North and Green in the south -- it is still mimicking the original Four Cities of Yelm.

mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk (Michael Cule) I have a dream - Me too!

>I would think so! I've had the same sort of idea ever since I heard Greg
say:
>"I think perhaps HeroQuest is a computer game." (Sound of assembled jaws

>dropping.)

Unless things have changed, there is someone working on such a computer game even now, though I have no idea what stage they are at. And no, this is not the Dragon Pass computer game from a couple of years ago, which project has sort of disappeared into thin...air.

>I think it would be more like a multi-player version of Populous 2: The
Gods
>would have control over one or more Runes which would give them specific
>powers. They would try to steal the Runes from other Gods, to cut down
the
>other Gods power-base and generally do all the things that we know the
Gods of
>Glorantha do.

A card game called Pantheons was developed from the Gloranthan runes years ago, which does this on a _very_ simple scale. Quite fun, though not specifically Gloranthan. Chester Hendrix has sold off all of the copies; he or they turn up every once in awhile at conventions, mostly on the West Coast of the U.S.

Peter Maranci <pmaranci_at_sunspot.tiac.net> Orlanthi Spiritual Journey

>A QUESTION:
>
> I have a situation I'd like to hear some thoughts on:
>
>His instinct is to go up by himself into the mountains on a sort
>of personal spiritual pilgrimage, and not to return unless he reaches
some
>sort of peace with himself.
>
>This isn't (necessarily) intended to be a
>HeroQuest, though the character has done some questing before. The goal,
>rather, is some sort of spiritual enlightenment. He does not intend to
>come back as the same person who started the trip -- if necessary, he'll
>die rather than fail.

This sounds more like a shamanic initiation than anything else. In many societies, the shamans have to die and be reborn to achieve their link with the Other World. Perhaps he should seek guidance from the local Kolating.