New Temple of the Reaching Moon

From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 15:53:29 +0800

With all this discussion of the rituals to consecrate (and destroy) the new Temple of the Reaching Moon in Sartar, I thought I'd ask where exactly everyone thinks it is. My problem is as follows:

In Dragon Pass (boardgame) the first scenario suggests that it was the razing of the the Old Wind Temple which awakened the dragon upon which the foundations of the old Wind Temple had apparently been laid. This resulted in the destruction of half the Lunar army. So an early source suggests (indirectly) that the New TotRM was on the site of the Old Wind Temple.

In KoS, the map of Sartar and Tarsh on p129 has two seperate locations. The "Proposed Lunar Temple" is virtually in the Sambari Pass, ten to twenty miles north of the "Old Temple" which is on the east side of the Storm Mountains. It seems natural to equate these with the new TotRM and the Old Wind Temple respectively.

Aside from this, it seems that Tatius the Bright had "determined the most magical place to build many years earlier, and in 1622 he dedicated the ground and work began." This would tend to read against the equation with the Old Wind Temple but only very weakly.

I was thinking on a related tack, that if Old Wind was in (or on the edge of) the Dundealos lands, and Tatius had indeed determined this to be the best site "many years earlier", perhaps he deliberately provoked the Dundealos revolt and its ensuing massacre to remove any threat to his project from the nearby people. This could work with a more northerly location for the temple as well (the Dundealos lands may be large), or the Firebull revolt (a clan of the Sambari tribe) may have been sparked off in similar circumstances.

So does anyone have any ideas about where the new TotRM is located? Which tribal territory it is on (if any)? And what do the locals think?

Pax

Saravan.