Londra of Londros; the Ram

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 12:23:32 -0800

Steve Martin wrote

> one very famous Colymar
> heroine, Londra of Londros, is from the "Bayberry Clan" of the Colymar
> Tribe.

I've tried to figure out which clan she's from. Part of the problem is that Londros isn't in Colymar lands! (For those who don't have the maps from Tales, TotRM5.3 has Londros on the road between Harvest Home and Quackford. This appears to be solidly in Lismelder lands, according to TotRM6.7.

> Both the
> Lysan and Namoldin clans of the Colymar are "tree clans", which I take to
> mean that a tree is their totem

The Lysan (or Lysang) and Namoldin (or Namolding) are of the "original Tree Triarchy." The Antorling (Apple) clan is not one of the originals. The Lysang and Namolding lived in the Arfritha Vale, which is between the Gejay Hills and Brambleberry Hills, nowhere near Londros. So I don't think any of the Tree Triarchy are the Bayberry. (Actually, I don't know if bayberries are trees or shrubs; bay leaves do come from trees.)

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> According to the
> GRAY, the Ram People worshipped a huge iron ram which they towed
> about on wheels. It is this ram which Urvairinus won in battle that
> was said to be placed on the Roof of Manarlavus.
>
> Thus sayeth Plentonius. Personally I think he's making it up
> here as one is left with the curious question of exactly how
> a neolithic culture managed to find a great big idol made from
> _iron_ and invented _wheels_ to cart it around?

The Andams had their ordeed-drawn chariots, and their invasion of southern Pelanda happened during what I'd consider neolithic times.

But "wheels" could have been added later; they might have towed it rollers, or even on a sledge.

As for ironworking, that mystery is so restricted even today that perhaps it was made for them. Or perhaps it was just a lump of iron that looked like a ram, the same way cabbage leaves look like Elvis.

Peter Maranci asked

> A deeply devout Orlanthi Initiate who is likely to qualify for
> Wind Lord status within two or three years (and who is already qualified
> to become a priest or acolyte) has suddenly realized that he is seriously
> lacking in a key Orlanthi virtue: independence. He's a paragon of faith
> and bravery, but in every situation his instinct is to pray and ask his
> priest for guidance. Since he feels that his duty is to become as close to
> a perfect Orlanthi as possible, he was deeply disturbed by the revelation
> of his spinelessness.

The "no one can make you do anything" culminated in the slaying of the Evil Emperor. But Orlanthi also fit into society -- nobody expects you to be solitary.

> His instinct is to go up by himself into the mountains on a sort
> of personal spiritual pilgrimage, and not to return unless he reaches some
> sort of peace with himself.

Mountains are the perfect place to commune with Orlanth...