Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #43

From: Tim Peterson <gisby_at_server.icenter.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 14:27:48 -0600

In Glorantha Digest V4 #43 Graham Wren wrote:

> That same Sartarite would believe that
> Humakt is the god of death and war, and would not be able to conceive
> that there are other death gods in other lands with overlapping
> responsibilities, etc.

I fear I cannot agree. In "real world" polytheistic cultures, folk are quite willing to accept that other peoples have different Gods, whose powers are valid in their own lands. Witness the Romans' ready acceptance of Egyptian gods. (I will spare you all, and not go on, as I tend to...) In fact the Judeo-Christian tradition (I include Islam) seems rather unique in it's xenotheophobia. (And it was not always so...) A sartarite would be quite willing to accept that other panthaeons exist, as he would already know many folk who worship different Gods.

 > I am saying that I cannot take this all as dogma, like others seem to
> do. I still feel that a campaign background must sit well not only
> with PC's but with the players themselves.

Here I agree. There seems quite a lot of dogmatism on the board. There is still some impressive creativity, though.