Tricksters

From: PMichaels_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 10:30:53 -0500

Stephen Martin starts a new topic and asks about Praxian and/or Troll tricksters.

Stephen, are you really considering a "HeroQuest Sneak Preview" written over 18 years ago, where the forms of trickster are not much more than a d6 chart to see what shape you trade riddles with, as the gospel for understanding trickster in Praxian society? If so, please reconsider. Besides, the Trickster Form chart has Coyote, not Hyena. Nor does it have Rattlesnake.

Figuring out the cultural and social relevance (huh?!) of such gods as Hermes, Loki, Elegba, and Iktomi has been difficult enough for humans here on Terra. (I again invite everyone to visit Fools Paradise at
<http://members.aol.com/pmichaels/glorantha/foolsparadise.h tml>. And please feel free to write me with comments, cries of outrage, criticisms, etc.!) I certainly found that trying to create a contextual understanding (as well as MGF) for such Trickster deities as Eurmal, Raven, and Rakenveg for the Gloranthan human societies to be challenging enough. ("Eurmal Happens!") But when I have tried to also consider the NON-HUMAN biopsychosocial factors of the Elder Races, I've felt a bit overwhelmed. Not that this hasn't stopped me from trying, of course!

Below are my working ideas for Trickster among the Elder Races. I know some of them are probably going to cause a bit of a stir, and I'm willing to be convinced differently if you can explain to me what YOU think Trickster represents to the trolls/elves/dwarves and what socio-cultural effect he has or function he serves.

Peace,

     Peter

Uz: (I note that the name and the inspiration for Sacry Monster came from Paul Reilly in a long ago RQDaily discussion)

Scary Monster is an incarnation of the Fright, Truant, Glutton, and Destroyer aspects of the Trickster.

Scary Monster represents the capacity for senseless hunger all Uz know resides within themselves, which if loosed ultimately leads to both self-destruction and the destruction of others. It is their own violently selfish devouring urges taken to an extreme. It cares nothing for community or procreation, and is genderless.

Scary Monster's role is to remind trolls (by negative example) to respect their hunger, but to control it and to fulfill one's social responsibilities to one's clan mothers and children. Trolls don't understand Scary Monster. He appears to be something terrible from the Darkness, and yet is beyond the raw command of Subere and Dehore (but not the communal strength of Kyger Litor).

A troll generally comes to (always covertly) worship Scary Monster when he or she desires to gain more power in their community. Initially a troll will sacrifice for either Cause Fear or Devour, both of which are used to awe and scare others into submission. With this, their hunger for food and for being feared starts to grow. Eventually realize that this hunger is consuming them, and this usually results in the use of the spell (and the substance) Powzie! in an effort to reduce the hunger. Eventually such a troll will always transform into the Black Eater, which then terrorizes the whole region until contained and banished by the most powerful of Uz.

Aldryami:

Panmal is an incarnation of the Imp, Shapechanger, Sexual Insatiate, Destroyer, and Cultural Hero aspects of the Trickster.

Panmal's Imp and Sexual Insatiate aspects are most often worshipped by the Aldryami sprites. Trickster worshipers who find a Panmal shrine can sometimes also worship him.

Panmal (in part) represents what happens if an Aldryami allows their desires for reproduction and growth to blossom uncontrollably. His role is to remind elves (by negative example) to enjoy their growth, but to respect and control it while fulfilling their responsibilities to the forest. He is also the Monster Scarer, who saved Aldrya by frightening the Dark Eaters away.

Mostali:

Paradox: non-function/function feedback loop. DANGER! ADAMANT RESPONSE REQUIRED!