Reusable Priest Magic

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 13:18:38 GMT

"Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk> she say:
> A rules clarification needed, please. (Yes, I know this isn't the rules
> digest, but in the absence of one, this will have to do).
>
> An initiate has divine magic, but it is one-use. In order to become a
> priest, they need ten points of such magic. Once they become a priest,
> they can sacrifice for reuseable divine magic. But what happens to the
> ten points they had before? Does it become reuseable automatically, or do
> they need to resacrifice for it?

No, I've always assumed that it becomes reusable the moment you become a Priest or Acolyte. It doesn't say so explicity anywhere in the rules but it seems the only sensible way to interpret it.

> Also, is it possible to be a priest without having the Worship Deity
> spell? I would have though that at least they would have had to get it
> within a few weeks of obtaining the new rank, but it isn't spelt out as
> such in the rule books that I can find.

I would say that you can't obtain the Worship Deity spell as an Initiate but would be required to do so as soon as you become a Priest or Acolyte. This isn't stated anywhere in the rules either but it seems fair. Other Priest-only spells like Excommunication would have to picked up as the character rises through the hierarchy. His priestly superiors would come along and tell him: "Time to sacrifice for another Divination, boy."

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.