Poetic License, Yelmalio

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 02:17:17 EST

Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com> Poesy
>____________
>Steve Martin writes:
>
>> When discussing things on the Digest, we are normally discussing
>> what we believe is either The Truth or A Truth. Poetic license IS a
>> problem, I think...
>
>I think not. We are normally discussing Glorantha, which is a fertile
and
>creative wellspring for all sorts of ideas. Poetry included (though I
>wouldn't class my Songbook or the Ballad of Beat-Pot Aelwrin in this
>category).

Poetic License is not the same thing as poetry, Nick. I think Poetry is one of the _best_ ways to explore Glorantha (though I am rarely very good at it). Taking poetic license as part of an analytical or speculative discussion can be confusing, and is what I think should be avoided, for clarity's sake.

>On a side issue, the Praxian Sable Antelope has a russet, reddish coat,
not
>the darker coat of the RW beastie.

Then why is it still called a sable, oh Sage of Sages? :) :) :)

>Thought for the Day: is Yelmalio Lightfore?

I've been wrestling with that for two years now, as it is a very complicated question. Ultimately, I think it depends on who you talk to.

Originally, I think most Orlanthi recognized Elmal as the Sun. Who Lightfore was to those innocent First Agers, I know not. Probably a spirit very like Lightfore, a god with no title, recognized for the light he brings at night. Now, since he is the Light in the Darkness, some of the clans probably recognized this planet as Elmal.

But, could Elmal be both the Sun _and_ Lightfore? Enter religious problems!

After contact with the Dara Happans, this problem became settled for some. Since the Big Sun was actually Yelm, sure, Lightfore was obviously Elmal. I think that this belief was much more universal than either of the beliefs before.

So, all is good for 1000 years. And then comes Yelmalio, that annoying little bugger who messed up all of our mythologies (actually, it was Elmal who did that, for us, but it was Yelmalio who did it in Glorantha). And of course, they claimed that the Little Sun was in fact their god, the Cold Sun.

So, now we have two sets of people, one primarily an organized cult, one primarily a clan organization, claiming the same planet as their god. And since they live in the same land, it merely reinforces their arguments with each other.

I think that nowadays, some of the Elmali and/or Yelmalions, those interested in peace between their two religions, are starting to preach that the Sun is Elmal, and that the Little Sun is Yelmalio.

But I say on this matter -- Greg made this mess, let him sort it out!

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com