[none]

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 02:17:17 EST

CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com (Lemens, Chris) End of Age

>hole in the ground. In either case, what happens to the blue moon, which
>purportedly drops dwon from the sky through the pole star hole and into
>Magasta's pool? Does she then stay in one place or the other, fixing the
>other hole?

Depending on your view, it disappears. If the Sun is to become stationary, I think it is likely that all three moons (Red, Blue, and Yellow = Sun) must combine together to become the White Moon, which is of course the Perfect Sun of Godtime.

If White Moon is to be White Orbiter, Blue moon can keep going through the hole in the sky. Until the timing is right/wrong (depending on your pov), and it hits the Blue Moon. No idea what happens then -- I guess the White Orbiter gets knocked out of the sky and makes a new Crater?

>Stephen, assuming the new moon goes north-south, (1) what is its color;
(2)
>what is its periodicity, and (3) does it have phases?

White -- that is what I think the White Orbiter is, the White Moon, the N-S planet. Its period is unknown, but would likely be similar or identical to the Sun's (for balance, as the Mostali would say). No phases - -- you have to take it on faith that it is a moon. :)

James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu> Mostali Tricksters, Eurmal & Uz Adoption (long)

genuine
>Trickster figure, I might throw out that Trickster is portrayed as an
>enemy, gremlin-type of a deity, constantly attempting the throw a monkey
>wrench into the works. Trickster tales would be mostly boring, staid
>homilies to Dwarven steadfastness, describing how to fix certain
problems.
>As in...:

So are the nilmergs the equivalent of tricksters to the Mostali. I kind of like this. Maybe both Nilmergs and Gremlins are made out of malfunctioning dwarfs. If the dwarf is too creative, and always seeks to improve what is already being done right, it gets lobotomized and turned into a nilmerg. If it is a trickster (for the dwarfs, this means it is destructive), it gets turned into a gremlin, its destructive urges kept in check and used against outsiders and heretics.

>"Lo, and did Gremlin the Trickster sprinkle sand in the gears of
>region 43 axis alignment subjunction 438-A, and he laughed to see the
>gears lock. The attendant Mostali were greatly wroth. But Foreman said,
>'Let us wash this sand away with lubricant type four.' And the gears
>were cleaned, and Trickster defeated, and the World Machine moved closer
>to perfection."

If the dwarfs had myths, this would definitely be one of them.

>Tim Ellis writes:
>
>Just off the cuff, how about this (apologies for length):
>
> When the Uz fled Wonderhome after the Great Sunny One showed up and
>spoiled the place, many tribes found themselves lost and abandoned in a
>world full of enemies. To these tribes came Trickster, who listened
>sympathetically over a mug or two.

&etc.

>Only a 10 minute hack, I'm afraid, but it might be useful with polish.

For a ten minute hack, it is very insightful, though we must of course replace the name "Eurmal" with something more culturally (and racially) appropriate. Do you mind if I snag this for use in the following issue of Drastic?

I also wonder whether some trolls might not use this as an explanation of trollkin, rather than humans being adopted. Didn't a Xiola Umbar priestess heal Arkat at the Castle of Lead?

David Hall <100116.2616_at_compuserve.com> Laboured Conformity

>>Because this record was actually written by a Colymar tribesman,
>>only a few years after all of these events. I doubt he would have
>>made any mistakes.
>
>Are you so sure?
>
>I quote from KoS: "The Colymar book... is sometimes erratic." "The
Colymar
>book is sometimes attributed to Amstalli the Old...". KoS does not say
when
>he lived, but it does say "he collected these parts... He probably found
>what came before that as an intact document. He added his wishes to
it..."

Well, Amstalli himself was definitely a Colymar. And, why would he present these "parts" if he did not accept them as accurate? Also, if the material was "traditional", that sounds like the tribe (or at least his clan, I'll admit) accepted them.

>Let us assume for a moment that you are right (and that Amstalli
actually
>wrote it). Well, then he obviously left out the Bayberry because he felt
>they were not a proper clan of the Colymar. Perhaps he disliked Londra
or
>her relatives, or his clan had a blood feud with hers. Orlanthi
tribesmen
>are notoriously flighty and bear long grudges.

Or perhaps the Bayberry is one of the clans listed, and you are labouring a bit too hard. Methinks you protest too much. But Joerg's solution of a severed clan which is in Lismelder territory should satisfy both of us, eh?

>All Hail the Forgetful Moon!

But Argrath won't forget to tear it down!

David Cheng <dcheng_at_amnh.org>
RunePower Update

I like your update a lot, it makes sense. Sort of starts taking us in the direction of D&D, but I can live with that.

Since first reading the RunePower rules a few years ago, I have also tinkered with them. I think that we need to define a couple classes of spells to really make the system work.

First, I do not think that most Common spells should be useable under Runepower. Orlanth may have access to Heal Wound, but it is not what he is about. Why should his worshipers be able to "use it at will"? In certain cases, like Divination for Lhankor Mhy or Heal Wound for Chalana Arroy, a common spell would be part of the Runepower pool. But in most cases, I would like to see them separate.

Second, many cults should have certain "Special" spells which are also not part of the Runepower pool. Part of this is for play balance, part for religious balance. For example, spells which are one-use to priests would tend to not be Runepower, even for priests. The cult's highest specialty spells would also not be so easily made available to worshipers - -- I cannot accept even Chalana Arroy providing a Runepower Resurrection spell, nor Humakt giving Sever Spirit on command.

Most Enchanting spells, by their nature, would also be "Special" spells.

Dividing the spells in this way also allows for distinctions between the spells available to priests and acolytes, if that is what a GM wants. Acolytes might have reusable access to all Runepower spells, but only one-use access to the Special spells, even if they are reusable to priests.

Finally, I think that some associate spells might be provided as Runepower spells, though most would be Special. Thus, Orlanth gains about 15 spells from associates. Most of these would be reusable, non-Runepower spells, but some (like Snow or Rain) would be Runepower spells as well, useable from the Orlanth priest's Orlanth Runepower Pool.

I hope everyone is familiar enough with Runepower to understand all of this.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com