Misc Follow-Up Notes

From: David Cheng <dcheng_at_amnh.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:06:43 -0500

Joerg on God Forgot: Excellent Stuff!

   Please note that we should not take the Brithini ancestry of the God Forgot Malkioni too seriously. Stafford imparted this to me when he sat and playtested _Masters of Luck and Death_ (coming soon to Glorantha Con IV in 18 days!) back at Convulsion '92. Even if the rulers are originally Brithini, their practices have degenerated - perhaps to the point explained by Metcalfe.

Peter Metcalfe on God Forgot: Even More Excellent Stuff! This certainly deserves more development; in _Tales_ perhaps?...

DC on RunePower - Corrections:
* Maybe it was Ross Stites that gave the primary inspiration for the
  'learn the spell ritual' amendment? I just don't remember.
* Etrigus got his Prevent Decay from Deezola, not Jalakeel (Jakaleel?).

Stephen Martin on RunePower:
"... sort of starts taking us in the direction of D&D..." ~Gasp~ I always thought RunePower takes us further away from D&D magicisms! D&D: Pick your spells at the start of the adventure. RQ2: Pick your spells when you sacrifice for them. RP: Pick your miracles _as the situation requires_.

Stephen suggests different categories of spells, some RunePower-able, and some not. I'm not sure I agree with his line of thinking. But, c'est la vie.

Spontaneous Rune Magic:
A suggestion from Nick Brooke was too blasphemous to even make the Tales article. Perhaps the GM sometimes determines when you use your rune magic, for the sake of plot advancement.

   "You're walking through the valley. You hear whispers of men talking.     You look around, but you see nobody. You search. As you climb up over     a crest, you see two men over a bowshot away. One is obviously a Lunar     military officer. The other looks like a burly Colymar clansman.     You can now hear them more clearly, almost as if the wind was bringing     their words to your ears. They are plotting the assassination of     your uncle, the clan chieftan!"
    (Game note - please deduct one Rune Power point for the Wind Words      Orlanth just passed to you)

Nick rightly notes that no right-thinking adventurer ever has the spare POW to sacrifice for Wind Words. But, RunePower makes it easy to use this excellent spell as necessary. And, Spontaneous RunePower makes it easier yet!

See you in 2 1/2 weeks,
*DC