Trickster

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 22:49:46 EST

Boy, I have got to work on these Subject lines!

Peter Linton Tracy <937058_at_bud.cc.swin.edu.au> Uz rebirth, Runepower, Khelmal

>I have a question for the Loremasters of the Digest, in that I recall
>seeing a while ago a cult writeup of Khelmal, but after searching the
web
>and the bookcase and old digests I couldn't find it.

I believe it was in New Lolon Gospel I, though what appeared there was more akin to cult notes and additions than a full write-up. Is there a fuller version available?

<PMichaels_at_aol.com>
Praxian Tricksters

>I again invite you (and everyone else too, of course) to visit my
Glorantha
>webpage at <http://members.aol.com/pmichaels/glorantha/glorantha.html>,
>where you can find these and other goodies. You're welcome to whatever
you
>want, please just let me know if you decide to use it.

I have no internet access -- can you email me appropriate items? Myths in particular would be welcome -- I have 5 pages or so, but I will squeeze more in if I like them.

>I believe that Praxian mythology is much more unified, and that for the
>Praxian humans the only trickster is Raven.

I disagree strenuously. Although they might only name trickster as Raven, a number of other characters appear in the role of trickster, including Hyena and Little Brother. This from Scott Schneider, considered to be one of the Praxian experts around. Jackrabbit is another likely form of trickster, and one which is possibly more common than Raven. Raven is the thief, but jackrabbit is the essence of the trickster being pursued, but almost impossible to catch. I do not believe he is worshiped in a Spirit Cult (nor is Little Brother, or Rattlesnake if he exists), but he is definitely known, IMO.

>Also, Prax (even including the
>Wastes) looks to me to be roughly the size of North Dakota

Um, I think you are misreading the scale somewhere. If all of Genertela is the size (roughly) of North America, as the Genertela Book says, then the Wastes have to be a lot bigger than North Dakota! Though Prax may be that size, or even smaller.

>(I agree that Hyena is also a trickster, but I think he is the
_Morokanth_ >trickster.)

Actually, I would be inclined to think that the morocanth do _not_ view Hyena as a trickster, where all the other people do! But I could be wrong.

>You might find interesting that Glooskap, the Micmac and Wabanaki
>trickster, is a frog. Also, I know of no North American Indian culture
who
>had a rattlesnake trickster. (BTW, do we know if rattlesnakes exist in
>Prax?)

No, we don't. I have postulated it, since I think a rattlesnake spirit, the only animal who refused to ackowledge Genert as lord, is appropriate to both the terrain and the people. But I have never asked Greg, Sandy, or Scott about whether such an entity does in fact exist. The serpents of the Wastes are sort of more than rivers and less than spirits. One of them especially is very fickly, alternately bringing good fortune or evil, as the whim moves him. This seems very much to be a trickster to me.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com