God Forgot Brithini

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 97 20:08 MET

David Cheng in reply to my God Forgot history:
> Please note that we should not take the Brithini ancestry of the God
>Forgot Malkioni too seriously. Stafford imparted this to me when he sat
>and playtested _Masters of Luck and Death_ (coming soon to Glorantha Con IV
>in 18 days!) back at Convulsion '92. Even if the rulers are originally
>Brithini, their practices have degenerated - perhaps to the point explained
>by Metcalfe.

Sure. For the record, I don't believe that God Forgot ever saw more than say 200 Brithini individuals, "native offspring" included. With these people, this is enough to continue a culture in Talar Hold for 1600 years, though.

Apart from these 120 (at most) surviving Brithini, I doubt many Leftarmers have access to life-prolonging methods other than the usual heavy-powered heroquests of Ethilrist, Jar-eel or Hofstaring Treeleaper. Some very adept pupils of the remaining Zzaburi in the Hold might know Resurrection, maybe, but this more likely from personal research.

Peter Metcalfe's account has obviously been hacked from some unknown Glorantha link, but I harbour the well-founded suspicion that this so-called Leonardo is an impostor, or otherwise, erm, forgetful about his own history. I really doubt that the real Leonardo as described in Genertela Book has experienced the Machine Wars, and survived the general pogromes against inventors afterwards. Talar Hold doesn't sport any red-hot brass citadel, after all...

It is also possible that Leonardo confuses written documentation with personal memory, a common symptom of overused Immortality spells. The written documentation I refer to is the Holy Country description telling us about the advent of the Waertagi. In perfect chronological order, we are told about the Only Old One's duel with Martaler of the Blazing Forge (123 ST), the Dawn Council expeditions west (their description ending in 115), and the defecting of the Triolini - certain combatants at the Unity Battle - to the Waertagi, finally mentioning the troll dominance originating early in the Silver Age.

I liked Erik Sieurin's "every [Leftarm Islander] is a philosoph of sorts", though the tribal name he used ought to suffer the same fate as the land's original deity... Nothing wrong with strange argumentations in everyday conversation, as long as people don't make Illumination Riddle rules apply to foreigners exposed to these. That is to say: the God Forgot philosophy is not a proselytizing way, unlike the Lunar virus.