Runepower and moon?

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 14:24:24 -0800 (PST)

I have read the runepower variants with interest. I agree with those who think the original rules are a bit too powerful. I liked both David's and Stephen's additions. Here's my own variation on Stephen's additions:

Krauchee has 4 points of runepower. He is a new Humakti priest. He has _sacrificed_ for Truesword and Shield. He can use 4 points of either spell, but no other. He did not have to learn others, nor indeed could he (but he can sac for new ones later). He must sacrifice for each new spell (but not each use of a spell), but after he has done so, he has set up a path to Humakt so he can use his runepower pool to cast any spell sac'ed for.

For me, this retains the need to sacrifice for spells, rather than learn them (as Donald Wachenschwanz perhaps suggested), and yet allows you to use runepower for MGF. I'm not sure I understand what it would mean to "learn" a divine spell without sacrificing for it -- we're not talking about sorcery here (sorry, DC)! You need the connexion with the god.

Perhaps one could use my variant along with Stephen's variant (some spells use runepower, some don't)?

While Dave's addition of spontaneous runepower usage is cool for GMs and for story telling, I'm not sure if players would like it -- especially if they are saving RPs, only to have their god use for them! This may even abrogate the Compromise (if you believe in such a thing) ...

On another topic ...

CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com (Lemens, Chris) writes:

> At which point did the red and blue components get
>separated from the rest? Following this separation (whenever it happened),
>the red part seems to become separated from physical Glorantha because it
>required the seven mother quest to retrieve the deity that was never born
>and never died. We know the blue moon goddess' role in the seven mothers
>quest, but why would Yelm not have likewise assisted?

Perhaps we could think of the Red Moon as the blood of Yelm and the Blue Moon as the soul/spirit of Yelm? All that remains (Yellow "moon" == sun) is Yelm's body. This could be a reason for the RG's aspirations to heal the world and rule it too! And why the Blue Moon is so hard to see or find ... and why it hangs around in underworld so often ...

All Hail the Healed Moon!

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory     Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions      Fax   (408)463-4101
Bitnet ID:            MCM at VNET           IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or  USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us