swine goddess

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:11:40 +1200

Stephen Martin:

>As does the form of the
>name Ernalda, touched on by the person (I don't remember who) who
>mentioned Remalada. Remalada is my linguistic attempt to link Ernalda and
>Mralota as originally having been the same deity.

I don't think this is credible. The Remalada occurs in Saird where the Orlanthi were originally Goat and Sheep Herders. The Pig Goddess there is VergEnari who comes from the Northeast. Mralota is the Goddess of Pigs and comes from Maniria where the Haralding Orlanthi there were hsunchen swine-cum-pig herders. Furthermore the Haraldings were originally non-Orlanthi who acquired Orlanthi "ways" late compared to the Vingkotlings (cf the KoS where Harand's ancestry is snubbed in favour of descent from Orlanth). Hence I find it difficult to believe that both tribes originally worshipped the same goddess.