Brithini, Dawn of Malkionism

From: Thomas Doniol-Valcroze <tconrad_at_orbital.fr>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 22:03:49 +0100

Hi again!

Concerning Nick Brooke's answer to my question about:

Brithini and the Invisible God

- ------------------------------

Hmm... Let me see if I got it right, Nick... The Brithini recognise the act of Creation, and the fact that
"something" or "someone" had a role to play in it, but they do not
personify it/Him as Malkioni do, nor do they worship it/Him.

Why not call them agnostics then?
Definition of Agnosticism in my dictionnary:
"Philosophical doctrine declaring that everything beyond the
experimental data (i.e., everything metaphysical) is inaccessible to human spirit, and therefore, cannot be learned or known."

More clearly, an agnostic is someone who says:
"I don't believe in (the Invisible) God, nor do I believe that there
is no God; I just don't know because there is no way to know."

IMO, that would fit quite well with the Kingdom of Logic's creed.

Dawn of Malkionism

Hmm... I also thought about the origins of Malkionism. It seems to me that Malkionism came out of the Brithini belief the way that Christianity is said to have come out of a Jewish sect (the Essenes and the sect of the New Covenant). I'm not saying that Malkion was a Gloranthan Jesus (Malkion never said he was the son of God), but more some kind of Moses or Mahomet:
"Listen to what the IG says..."

(Though, note that Jesus was a Jew just like Malkion was a Brithini).

Just like Christianity spread faster than the older Judaism because it gave people someone more real to worship, Malkionism was welcome by westerners for the same reason, and also because its creed seemed more easy-going than the Brithini one, especially in hard times like the Ice age.

Of course, all this would be much clearer if some Lhankor Mhy priest could find and translate some Brithos Sea Scrolls, laying in an ancient cave...

What do you think?

Yours, Thomas.

P.S. I'm aware that this is a crude simplification of the origins of Christianity, but I didn't want to be any longer on a non-Gloranthan topic.