Androcles and a linguistic question

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:07:27 GMT

"Erik Sieurin" <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se> he wanna know:
> Let's say you have a heroquest which is very similar to Androcles and
> the Lion, OK?
> So in the story, the Hero helps a wild beast out of the kindness of
> his heart, and as result he is later not attacked by the same beast.
>
> Now, suppose that a person named X is to perform this quest. I assume
> most heroquesters know the myth they are following, though certain
> details may faulty. So X goes along, and when he encounters the Lion,
> he helps it, but NOT because of kindness, but because of cold
> calculation: if I help the Lion, he will not attack me later.
>
> So the quest-question is: Is intent important, or action?

I would say that intent is more important but that there should be a game mechanic to reflect this. Which is why the Pendragon personality trait system is a natural to import for Heroquest.

I would say that the GodPlane is the place where your True Face is seen, where things are seen As They Really Are. But remember that we become that which we act and that which we pretend to be. By performing the ritual that someone has performed before we may rouse in ourselves the appropriate emotions.

I hope that's clear. Probably not.

On to another point: I was wondering about the word Hnuschen in the shower this morning. (What do you mean I have a sad life?) Where does this word come from? It is used to describe all the animal-totem cultures of Glorantha but where does it originate? Is it the name of a particular tribe that was discovered (presumably by the God Learners) and applied to a Gloranthawide phenomenon.

And then it occured to me that there would be a use for a philologically based Dictionary of Gloranthan Words. This would list the terms unique to Glorantha and their origins in time and space. (GBAJJI. Lit The Deceiver. From First Age Seshnelan roots. Supposedly a coinage of ARKAT (qv) to describe his foe.)

I'm just saying this would be a good idea. Not that I'm proposing to do the work unless offered money. Perhaps something to go into the new Gloranthan material that Chaosium is promising us.

AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistando (Resistance is Uslesss) Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.