Divination (I apologize in advance)

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 12:52:52 -0500 (EST)

Maybe I'm just too concrete-minded or something. In any case, I apologize for restarting one of the older and less fruitful of Digest arguments, but I have to ask.

People are discussing whether Yelmalio is (or is on) the planet Lightfore. Discussing it in a real world context makes sense to me. ("Does Greg mean that Lightfore is Yelmalio?") Discussing it in a Gloranthan does not, and here's the reason: "Hey, Yelmalio: are you the planet men call 'Lightfore'?"

In a world where people routinely talk to their gods, how could this be a matter for debate? I don't mean that the people are necessarily *right*, just that they'd be *sure*.

What would really bug me, is this scenario: if a priest who thinks Yelmalio is Lightfore asks, Yelmalio answers "Yes, I am the planet men call Lightfore, and that is one of my names."

If a priest who thinks Yelmalio is the Sky Dome asks, Yelmalio Answers "No, I am the dome on which Lightfore walks."

That would bug me.
- --
Carl Fink