Re: Broken Broken Council

From: Eachlach_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:28:50 -0500 (EST)

On the basis of what I now know, I have to disagree with Curtis Long on the following points about the cancellation of the Broken Council:

1 -- Any statement or agreement you made in conjunction with my original comments are without a solid basis, given that I retracted said comments completely and without stint.

2 -- Placing blame for the LARP's cancellation on any one group is a petty and ridiculous gesture, as we are all to blame in one way or another. I personally consider we, the Glorantha aficionados, to be the most culpable in this matter, as it was apathy on the part of many of us (and the vagueries of real life for the rest) that put both the Chicago con and Broken Council in jeopardy in the first place.

3 -- It is always the convention staff that takes the blame for an unsuccessful event...I know, I've been there myself...and this is why I stated, in no uncertain terms, that Andrew and the Chicago crew have done okay. Yes, maybe they could have done better, but I will remind you that convention staff members are *volunteers*...people who have freely given up most of their personal time in order to receive little credit for success, virtually all the blame for failure, and absolutely nothing in the way of recompense for their efforts save a sense of personal accomplishment or anguish. These people have just as many real-life concerns outside of GloranthaCon as you or I do, yet they persistantly do the best they can for a public that doesn't give a damn about them. I suggest that, until you have had the dubious pleasure of running a convention yourself, don't point fingers.

Yes, we are all disappointed that Broken Council won't run. Life goes on. Get over it.

Enjoy the extra time you'll have to socialize with the *people*, rather than the characters.

I know I will...

Michael Schwartz                                            eachlach_at_aol.com
When in danger, when in doubt...run in circles, scream and shout!