Kaz lives!

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:04:00 -0800

David Cake treated us to some fine discussions of the nature of Glornathan deities, and of tricksters in Dara Happa.

> There is definately a connection between Basko and Kazkurtum, They are both
'Yelms Shadow' in
some sense, they are connected to each other in GRoY, and sometimes confused.

Not to mention that they share the upside-down step pyramid theme!

>And while Kazkurtum is seen as very sinister, that is only from a
conservative Dara Happan
view. For during the time of Kazkurtum, people do things that they normally would have found
unthinkable, some of which we might consider horrifying too (it is the Great Darkness after all), but also includes such things as having pleasurable sex, enjoying being artistic, etc. I think we are in Trickster territory!

Could be - but I think Kaz also represents the misuse (or unjust use) of power - certainly a common occurance in Yelmic societies. I believe Kazkurtem is to Yelmies as the Evil Emperor is to the Orlanthi. (Interestingly, fighting against Kazkurtem as Emperor is OK for Dara Happans! Well, for Shargash, anyway.)

However, Kaz is kind of a trickster. He is in effect a comment on What Not to Do, and lurks, trickster like, within all Yelmies. There was also Kazkurtem's stunt with the rock - when his image permeated through to the top of the stone, even when it had been tipped over (one of my favorite FS bits). This does seem tricksterous.

Therefore, Kaz does seem to be both truely evil (at times) and also tickster. Not surprisong, from a DH POV.

Pam