Yelmalio

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:19:01 +1200

Jean Durupt:

>First I remark that
>YELMALIO IS NOT THE ELVEN SUN GOD.

>The elven sun god is the flower bringer aka Yelm.

I think the published cult write up refers to the Aldrya Cult in and around Prax with respect to the Associated Cults - it lists Yelorna as an associate cult who is only know among the Unicorn Women. The Elves get runespells from Yelmalio because the Sun Dome people there have some links with the Garden. I strongly doubt that the Pelorian Yelm Worshippers have forged similar links (given their habit of razing forests) nor would the Grazers see any merit in being friendly to the elves.

Thus IMO the Elvish Yelmalio is the source of the Sunripen spell as he is the Flowerbringer while the Sun Dome Yelmalio provides the Catseye. The Elvish Yelmalio is mistakenly called Yelm in his Flowerbringer capacity by the Grey Sages and God Learners due to the Elvish habit of either giving the name or its translation into the local human tongue or both (cf Elder Secrets: Elf Names). Of course this is related to my belief that the actual Elf name for their sun god is Alio.

[If this sounds unnecessarily convuluted, there is the outstanding RW example of Jehovah which was created by adding the two seperate words *together* by scholars who didn't know the textual convention.]