[none]

From: durupt_at_rtccnh1.serigate.philips.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:48:04 +0100

Hi all

+ undeads

Inrodar Greydog
If the protection granted by Humakt works, he can still be transformed into a mummy by Delecti, and since the Lismelder don't have a high skill in undead lore they won't know the difference.

Mad Head Ghosts
I've seen the darklight, mad head ghosts are undead while Thanatari heads are undying.

+ Yelmalio

I think that Peter, Steven Martin and I will ever disagree on this.

Two countries can share a religion and still war on each other. One RW example is France and Spain. Both countries were roman catholics which mean that:
- - the people worship the same god
- - the religious hierarchy is common (bishops and cardinals are chosen by the pope)
And still there were many wars between the two countries.

In Glorantha, even if two countries worship the same gods, they don't have the same religious hierarchy.
For example, the Sun Dome in Prax has few links with the Sun Dome in Sartar. And these two states can be on opposite sides during a war, even if both are Yelmalio theocracies.
The Dara Happan can share mythos with the elves, but if an elven forest is hampering the rice paddies' extension, it will be razed. The Grazers can share the sun god with the elves, and acknowledge the wood goddess, their herds need pasture, and any wood that stands in the pastures will be burned, even if it is an elven forest. In the same way, if an elven forest needs more area, the nearby humans will be driven off or killed, even if they are sky worshipers.

I think too that the Sun Domes don't have exactly the same mythos about Yelmalio. Does this mean that they worship different gods? I don't think so. They are only vile heretics.

The same thing is true IMO for many gods.

Maybe I should not have shouted my disagreement.

+Killing heroes

I think that even Harrek is killable. He may even be forced to stay dead. After all, in Dragon Pass, it is possible, since his CF is only 20 while the Crimson Bat's is only 6 <g>.
But the character who does it is bound to have an intersting live, since he will replace Harrek as a key player in the hero war (remember, he killed permanently Harrek).
And I do not say that the trick with the axe transe and the slash will work, in fact I think that the poor axe maiden who try this will discover that Harrek had thought about it too.
I agree with Martin on the protection against criticals, but a critical hit with slash 100 (ie 100 d6 of damage) should wound and kill even Harrek. After that he can always come back from Hell, like the other times he was killed.

I don't think that the shambling hill is a part of Ralzakark, it is only a monster in his arsenal.

+Heroquest with intent.

I think that any heroquest has undesirable side effects. In the case of Androcles and the Lion, if a character heals the lion, he will be counted as hostile (ie lion-friend) by the herbivores. If he did it out of mercy, this will be the only side effect.

If he did it by cold calculation, the Lion will help him once, and be hostile afterward since it was an obligation for the animal. The quester will keep the herbivores' hostility since he healed the lion. The character may do another heroquest to suppress those side effects.

This path is dangerous because the side effects will grow in magnitude with each new quest done with cold calculation. This can go on until the quester do quests that serve only to fight the side effects of his previous quest. Then nature revolts against such an abuse. Any similitude with a Gloranthan group is voluntary.

Peace

        Jean

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #86