Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #84

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:13:47 GMT

M Anderson <avimort_at_aurora.cc.monash.edu.au> observed:

> There has been much written here recently about heroes, far too much to
> comment on each of the individual posts. It set me to thinking.....
>
> Can a hero truly be a hero if they claim to be one? (Please excuse me
> while I remove myself from Gloranthan heroes and use some RL examples
> here, it is a lot easier to refer to folks we all agree on, rather than
> ones that seem to be ephemeral in motive and style from post to post.)

He then goes on to discuss real-world heroes and heroics in a perfectly rational and balanced way.

(I myself get high blood pressure every time I hear some overpaid pop star or footballer referred to as a hero.)

But....

  1. On Glorantha, Hero has a specific theological/cosmological meaning. It signifies a mortal who has put on immortality by an act of their own will, one who has woven a new step into the Dance of the World and made themselves a part of the Web of Arachne Solara.
  2. Yes, on Glorantha, a braggart and a self publicist can be a true Hero. For proof we need look no farther than Sir Ethilrist.
    • -- Michael Cule Actor And Genius AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop of the Far Isles Medeival Society Motto Nulla Spes Sit In Resistando (Resistance is Useless) Ask me about The Far Isles: Better Living Through Pan Historic Anachronisms