Mad Prax - Beyond Sun Dome (part #1)

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 00:28:43 +1100

G'day all,

Over the next few digests, I'll be posting a very traditional slice-n-dice RQ tournament I wrote some years ago called MAD PRAX BEYOND SUN DOME. It was originally played at Necronomicon III in Sydney, New South Wales.

It was kinda fun at the time, and one of the first airings of Melo Yelo, the loopy baboon who desperately wanted to join Yelmalio (and got his chance in a follow-up tournament THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF YELM). The amiable xenophobe Mars Melus also features in both tournaments.

As I said, it's kinda fun, but I'm posting it unedited from the original despite some problems I see with it today, eg. the plot seems to be incredibly linear (but when played, fortunately the fun came out in the roleplaying rather than the storyline!).

I imagine this tournament could easily be adapted for Sun Dome player characters.

Cheers

MOB

MAD PRAX - BEYOND SUN DOME (part #1)
A RQ Tournament of sixteen scenes, set in Sun County

By MOB

Playtesters: Trevor Ackerly, Phil Green, Derek Prout, Tim Leask, David Wanless

THE PLAYER CHARACTERS Yelanda Goldenlocks
A frustrated Sun Domer on the verge of rune lord status, if only her male colleagues would respect her for her mind and abilities.

Bob the Vrok Hawk
Yelanda's male-chauvinist allied spirit.

Melo Yelo
A strange baboon who's convinced initiation into the Yelmalio cult is his true calling. Shame nobody else does...

Mars Melus
Your typical Sun Domer farmer - loyal and stolid; a decent racist xenophobe.

Sarshas Yarallo
A Lunar tribune, who when he signed up to "see the world", didn't imagine that he'd end up stuck in a dump like Prax!

PLOT SUMMARY
(you might not want to read this if you're gonna play it!)

The player characters are summoned to the audience chamber of Count Solanthos Ironpike, ruler of Sun County. Now, the Sun Dome army unexpectedly departed for the village of Harpoon the night before, for  reasons unknown to the PCs. Solanthos orders them to take three large gold rings to Harpoon, and await further orders. After a number of episodes along the way, the PCs arrive at Harpoon. They learn that the rings in fact are magical matrixes that fit around the hafts of the great missiles the spear-throwing machine, and that it is going to be used against a huge GiantUs Cradle floating down the river. Following the orders of their Lunar overlords, the Sun Domers plan to harpoon it and drag it ashore to loot it of its magical treasures. The PCs take part in this historic assault, which is unsuccessful. However, the PCs still have their chance of winning glory...

Next: the characters!

>From the Notes From Nochet files:

(XXIX.1342-27) Obscenity protects against demons: I once paid a Riddler to explain why; he took my money, viley insulted me, and vanished.