dogs, farmers, strife

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:05:00 -0800

Marc helpfully points out that aardwolves are hyaenids. Really!?! Nifty! I'll have to go look 'em up. There's one here in the Seattle zoo, but you have to wait a while for him to venture into the open.

(BTW - I suggest anyone coming to the Victoria con in July plan to stop at the Seattle Zoo is you have any interest in animals - our zoo really is first class. So is the Vancouver Aquarium.)

>I don't think South America has a small canine like the coyote. I don't
think either the maned wolf or the bush dog qualifies.

I think foxes live in South America - at least, there is a patagonian fox. Given the travelling capabilities and success of the canids, I'd be surprised if foxes hadn't gotten to S. America.

"A man who will not name his tribe and clan must be an outlaw. He is definately no kin to any here. He claims to be Walk as Orlanth? I have known many men who made such a claim, men who were sworn enemies of my clan, men who slew my brother, men who attacked my kinswomen like cowards in the night. Are we slaves of the Emperor, that we should bow and scrape to some clanless stranger because he claims a title?

"You speak of your courage and your brave deeds in war against your enemies. These acts are indeed worthy of respect. But any man who Walks as Orlanth should know that no man has the right to bring war to a folk who have not chosen that path for themselves. To do so is unjust, and unworthy of a Heortling leader.

Theya Two-Mothers

Note: The old Varmandi/pre-Sartar Orlanthi clan emphasis is no doubt less centralized than is Orlanthi culture in 1615 - but probably not by much. Theya's clan-centric worldview was one of the key factors exploited by the Lunars.

In fact, in Jeff Richard's Taming of Dragon Pass campaign, our Varmandi clan is surrounded by two hostile TRIBES, and several hostile clans. Everybody hates us, and one of the tribes, the Malani - especially the Orleving clan - have sworn to exterminate us. Most of our attempts to get help have ended in disaster, such as backing the losing side in the Colymar civil war. We expect to have to permanently abandon our lands and flee to the hills soon - we're just waiting until the overwhelming force actually shows up.

A while ago, I pointed out to Jeff that if the Varmandi managed to survive until 1600, we could side with the Lunars against all our enemies. Jeff replied: "No good. According to KOS, the Orleving beat you to it!"

Doh!

Pam