Rune power variants

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:50:32 -0800 (PST)

I'm a little behind in my reading ...

Dave Cake suggested a way of handling the stacking problem with the rune power system: number of points sac'd for is the stacking limit. I have a different way of saying the same thing: each point of a stacked spell is really a _different_ spell. If we'd had rune power from the start, "Shield 1" would have been called something like "Greater Protection", "Shield 2" maybe "Lesser Shield", "Shield 3" could be "Shield of Orlanth", and "Shield 4" might be "Shield of All Winds". The names are all one-offs I just made up, but it's now clear that each spell is different and unique -- only similar to us gamer-types, not to Gloranthans (except maybe GLs ...). Thus, you sac for one use of each spell, and use your rune points to cast any you had sac'd for (as I suggested).

I have to disagree with Nick's suggestion of using the square root of a number of MPs for the points of a stackable spell. Too complex. Another table to use and memorise (and abuse?). Sorry, Nick, but I find my solution more elegant (in the mathematical sense). But, of course I do :)

Paolo Guccione suggests that learning a spell is a (minor) heroquest. I find this appealing, but find no reason to "suppose that you may perform the Quest without sacrificing POW". If you don't sac POW, your are an observer to the HQ, not a participant, and thus gain none of the benefits. Just as an observer at a battle gains no experience from the battle (no checks, in rulespeak). Now, it might be important to observe several spell HQs before undertaking your own so that you know superficially what to expect, but it should be like visiting a university before enrolling -- useful, but no indicator of your future success there!

Enough rules for now ... I need to catch up in my reading of the digest!

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory     Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions      Fax   (408)463-4101
Bitnet ID:            MCM at VNET           IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or  USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #94