Alakoring Dragonbreaker

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:57:33 -0800

Has anyone given any thought to how Alakoring actually broke dragons and earned his title? He managed to physically kill Drang, and he introduced the (presumably Ralian) idea that tribal kings did not owe allegiance to any larger institution, including the Cult of Orlanth.

A traditional way to fight dragons is with bags of wind (see Vadrus vs Enkoshons in Wyrms Footprints* or "Orlanth and Aroka" in King of Sartar) so he probably has a spell like:

Enchant Bag 1 point, ritual, reusable, stackable This ritual creates a leather bag which is capable of holding a wind.

        For each point of spell used, one air spirit can be captured in the bag, using normal binding rules.

        The bag can also be used to capture a gust of wind. Match the user's POW against the wind's STR -- success means the wind has been captured in the bag and can be released later. Each extra point of spell used to create the bag reduces the wind's STR by 20 for purposes of capturing it.

But I suspect there's more than just this. Could he somehow make the air reject a dragon in flight?

BTW, in my game, I'm planning to make Vengeful one of the cult virtues, and to require Ritual (Ceremony for you RQ3 players) since a certain amount of this wind bag stuff is performing heroquests. And the subcult is coming out as sort of a cross between Orlanth Thunderous and Orlanth Adventerous. Note that the Dragonbreaker subcult is distinct from Rex (I suspect Alakoring founded the Rex subcult, and Dragonbreaker evolved out of people trying to emulate Alakoring, rather than being a direct creation of his).