Mad Prax - Beyond Sun Dome (part #12)

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 11:27:45 +1100

G'day all,

MAD PRAX - BEYOND SUN DOME (part #12)

SCENE ELEVEN I. The Lunar Wyvern Rider
Just as the PCs trudge the last kilometer down the muddy track to Harpoon, Bob (and any other character using Scan) notices a dark shape in the sky, briefly silhouetted against the Red Moon. It is heading towards the glow of the Sun Dome encampment ahead. If Bob flies to investigate, or a character uses Farsee and Scan, they spot a man riding a dragon-like creature with huge wings. This is an Imperial wyvern-rider, bearing a message for Lord Invictus (that the Cradle has been taken at Pavis, so the Sun Dome force may be stood down).

After delivering his message, the rider then wings it to the Sun Dome Temple, to invite the Count up to Pavis to witness the looting of the Cradle.

The wyvern is out of bow shot, but Bob may fly up to investigate. If he gets too close, the wyvern might try to bite him, or lash out with its barbed tail.

SCENE TWELVE I. Harpoon & The Sun Dome Camp
All is abuzz when the PCs finally march into the village of Harpoon. The nondescript settlement is now dwarfed by the large, neatly-arranged camp the Sun Domers have pitched beside it, lit up by bonfires, torches and magical illumination (eg. Lightwall spells hanging in the air above the camp). Despite the blustery wind and intermittent rain, Templars, militiamen and peasants rush about everywhere, marching, drilling, and generally making themselves busy. There are hundreds of oxen penned in a temporary enclosure, placidly chewing their cud while they wonder what all the excitement is all about (does Melo Yelo view these oxen as a huge self-serve meat-market?).

Up on the cliffs across the river, the PCs can see the great spear casting machine from which the village of Harpoon got its name; in the firelight a team works feverishly to prepare it.

At the center of all the activity, Lord Invictus, resplendent in his golden armour, directs the action, and it is to him the PCs must report. As they approach him, they see the wyvern land, its rider give Invictus a message, and then fly off again, heading in the direction of the Sun Dome Temple.

Invictus is too busy to give Yelanda the full-serve he thinks she deserves, but can't resist a few barbs, carrying out the conversation along the lines of:

"Ah, Yelanda, I see you've recovered from your injuries. I was wondering which errand-"boy" (winks to the lads) the Count would send along with the rings. I fear you may have wasted your time though dearie, we may not need them after all, after this message I've just received." (Looking at Melo Yelo with amusement) "Oh, and I see you've bought along another pet."

Invictus's allied spirit Tercel, sitting on his arm, may take this opportunity to hurl a few jibes at Bob.

A pair of burly Templars take the pack with the rings in it away, and can be seen heading towards the spear-casting machine on the cliff.

If the characters report the strange circles, Invictus dispatches a group of Templars to investigate the curious phenomenon.

Invictus is not prepared to discuss the nature of the expedition, but promises the PCs a full briefing when the troops are rallied in the morning. In the meantime he suggests they get some rest, and directs them towards the mess area for a late dinner.

None of the Templars there know why they were called out and made to march to Harpoon in the middle of the night, but repeat the rumours and anti-Lunar prejudices from the earlier sections.

As they are eating their supper, the rumour passes through the camp that the whole exercise is obviously just some sort of drill; most of the magical lighting around the camp has been extinguished and Invictus relaxes standing orders. Most Templars have been allowed to get some rest, and are finding somewhere warm and dry to bunk down for the night. "With a bit of luck", some Templars say, "we'll back at barracks by dusk tomorrow." (Because of the message he received from the wyvern-rider, Invictus considers it unnecessary to maintain his army in a state of alert).

The characters must find somewhere in the camp to doss down for the night. There is a severe shortage of tents for the officers. Yelanda might be risking temptation if she lets Melo Yelo bunk down too close to the oxen pens (or if she lets Sarshas share a tent with herself...)

SCENE THIRTEEN I. Another Wyvern Rider
In the early hours of the morning, a random character is awakened by a flapping sound, as another Imperial Wyvern Rider flies in and lands close by the PCs. The Lunar rider dismounts and asks Yelanda to be taken to Lord Invictus immediately. He asks another of the PCs (Sarshas, if he's handy) to mind "Precious", his wyvern, while he's gone, and hands him the reins.

"Precious" is a fearsome-looking beast, and quite frisky. Although it snaps its jaws and flicks its barbed tail about, its firm cavalry training helps restrain its temper. It won't attack anyone unless severely provoked, and even then probably won't use its tail sting. Anyone foolish enough to try riding "Precious" has their Ride Wyvern chance (eg. 05% + manipulation bonus) to hang on, as the wyvern attempts to throw him as if flies into the air.

The wyvern has been on the wing half the night, and is famished. Wyverns like eating meat, especially small birds like Bob....

Play around with the wyvern in this scene as long as you like. Eventually, the rider returns, mounts "Precious" and flies off, heading south.

Invictus is resting in his tent, but recieves the messenger prompty. As soon as he reads the message he orders Yelanda to find a bugler and sound the alarm.

II. Stats

"Precious" the Wyvern
Wyverns are about the size of a large horse, and have two legs, two wings, no forelimbs and a long tail equipped with a venomous sting. This one is decked out in Lunar livery, and is trained for riding.

STR	27
CON	19
SIZ	31
INT	05
POW	12
DEX	13

Move: 2/8 flying
Fatigue: 46
Hit Points: 25
Magic Points: 12
DEX sr 3 + SIZ sr 0 = 3

17-20  Head    19-20  7/9
15-16  L.Wing  17-18  7/7
13-14  R.Wing  15-16  7/7
 12    Tail      14   7/9
09-11  Chest   08-13  7/11
07-08  Abdm    05-07  7/9

04-06 L. Leg 03-04 7/9
01-03 R. Leg 01-02 7/9
weapon*             sr        attk/par%       damage                Enc/AP
Bite                 6          50/--         1d10+3d6               --/--
Sting                9          70/--         1d6+3d6+POT19 poison   tail

   *Note the wyvern both bites and stings in the same round, against one or     two opponents.

Next: Invictus Speaks!

>From the Notes From Nochet files:

(XXIX.012-676/.poetry) An old Orlanthi oath: "By all that is truth and honour I swear by my lungs that give me life, my legs that give me movement, my mind that gives me magic, and by my hands that give me mastery that I will give faith and fealty, until I am honourably released from this service, or death take me, or the world shall end." [Leonidas the Short, wind voice.]

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #98