Ralian Ravens and ZZZ (Zorak Zorani Zombies)

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:34:22 +0100

> MOB
> __
> >>From the Notes From Nochet files:
> >(XXIX.12-74.west.news.2) The Humakti temples of Ralios are unusual,
> >even heretical, in that they often use ravens as familiars, rather than
> >binding spirits into their swords as we do.
> >____________________________________________________________________________
> >
> They also bind them into wolves, I believe, though that would be less
> common. Hey, here is another Raven myth -- let's start all over again!
> Just kidding.

IMC, the Humakti heroes have as one of their recurring nemeses a Trickster, and thus they hunt Tricksters even more relentlessly than others (who, IMOBNGS(1) do not go out of their way to do so unless the Trickster is really dangerous or obnoxious). They have also specifically HQ-ed and fought Raven the Trickster, which I associated with Trickster-as-the Guy -Who-Spreads-Death-Just-For-The-Fun-Of-It.

They are currently planning a trek into Ralios, and boy are they going to be miffed when they encounter the Western Heretics and find that they ASSOCIATE with "trickster birds".
I thought of the Raven as the Scout of Humath, who first found Death for him - and as a presage of him becoming Trickster, or perhaps he everywhere IS the Trickster, I envisage him as wise-cracking and sarcastic, the down-to-earth counterpart to Humath's honour and serene attittude, the Falstaff to Humath's Henry iV (? forgot his number).

I also tend to view the Sartarite Humakt as emotionless, the Ralian Humath as far less so (he's still as the storms, though moodier than his brothers).

ZZZ:
One thing about Zorak Zorani Zombies: according to one description I read, part of the Great Troll experiment to battle the Trollkin Curse was to mate female Darktrolls with the living dead warriors of Zorak Zoran. A type of undead which can MATE (even during ritual circumstances) - yowsie!

I actually like the concept, but it might be very Gregged now...

Look for a treatment of the idea in the coming installments of Erik's Undead (delayed because the writer is too tired due to RW work, just like the end of the story "The Gifts of the Lady"). And BTW, thanks to those who liked it.

Erik Sieurin