EWF

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:04:31 +1200

Martin Laurie:

>Even Gbaji failed miserably to harm dragonkind.

He did however conquer the Dragonewts and forced them to be his slaves.

>It seemed that the war against the EWF continued for a long time
>accross Saird and shifted little in its frontiers (though I haven't
>FS with me to say for sure) but it was the arrival and commitment of
>the Sun Dragon which defeated the Emperor himself and once the Emperor
>goes, so does Dara Happa (except Alkoth but then they are all nuts
>anyway) hence the Sun Dragons importance in the fight.

The war didn't start until the Emperor kicked the Golden Dragon Cult out of the Country and was a hard slog upriver. The stalemate at Saird comes after Dara Happa has been liberated and when the Sun Dragon was dead. Even then the EWF lauched a massive counterattack in c. 950 ST which took back a lot of the gains made.

>The problem I have with True Dragons vs Humans is that they are rather large.
>If a 4km long object flew over a town at say 500m with a wingspan of nearly
>5-6km the wind generated would flatten the whole town.

I think most true dragons are smaller than that as the Raibanth army that had been frightened to death by a Great Big Huge Dragon had prior experience in fighting dragons. It seems to me that Dragons of this size are almost unheard of.

SM>>The only question is, could Alakoring have managed this in the
>>EWF-controlled area?

>I believe that was the main avenue of his attack. I think that Alakoring
>politically campaigned among the EWF Orlanthi who were still Orlanthi and
>obeyed the rules of guest-right and moot so would hear him out. The EWF
>wasn't a dictatorship except in some of its heartlands and the Old Day
>Traditionalists were growing very strong at this point, certainly a large
>minority.

It doesn't sound right to me. Savvy members of the EWF especially the Here-and-nows would have gotten wind of Alakoring and said 'guest-right be damned' and committed secret murder if he went into their borders. They had a Dragon conducting customs duties at the South of Dragon Pass so why should the EWF be real nice touvhes and let a foreign agitator run amok through their lands? The Old Day Traditionalists were in Brolia and not Dragon Pass.