Humakt, Shargash

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 01:40:41 EST

"Loren Miller" <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> Re: Carmanian Humakt

>Now the reason that I am certain that the Carmanian Humakt is
>identical to the Dragon Pass Humakt is multiform:
>
>2. What is the most important concept to the Carmanians? What is
>their obsession? TRUTH.

Truth has always been an important concept to ALL Malkioni -- what were the God Learners, except searchers after truth? So, it is just as easy to suggest that both a Ralian-originated Humakt cult and a Fronelan-originated Carmanian war god cult were influenced early on by this Malkioni love of truth.

>geases from their worshippers. And who are the cults we know of who
>use geases? Humakt! Yelmalio, which comes from Dara Happa which was
>conquered and militarized by Carmania!

Um, excuse me, but since when did Yelmalio come from Dara Happa? Did you see Yelmalio mentioned anywhere within GRoY? And even the Yelmic influences from Dara Happa, which the Elmali have been subject to, began in the First Age, long before Carmania even existed! I think you's barking up the wrong tree, heah (here)!

>Yanafal Tarnils, who obviously
>came from Carmania. Thanatar (actually from Atyar) who hated Lhankor
>Mhy, and there's not much evidence to show that Atyar is from
>Carmania,

In fact, he is specifically stated as being from Kralorela.

<richardc_at_sypte.co.uk>
Clay Mostali

>This is just an idle curiosity type question as I've never looked
>into the Mostali in any detail. I have a Dragonclaw miniatures
>"Clay Mostali with repeating cross-bow" figure and am surprised
>that it's human-sized. Is this right?
>_

No -- a Clay Mostali is a "dwarf". Dwarf SIZ << Human SIZ.

Martin Laurie <102541.3423_at_CompuServe.COM> Shargash cult

>> I was also wondering if anyone had a write-up or outline for
the
>>Alkothi Shargash Cult.
>
>>However I think that most people in Alkoth worship Shargash
>>through the Yelm Cult as waffled about above.
>
>Shargash worshipped through Yelm?!? This is not true at all - they are
entirely
>different dieties and Yelm is purely a noble cult when worshipped at
initiate or
>higher level whereas Shargash is _the_ cult in Alkoth.

As I understand it, from GRoY, discussions with Greg, etc., neither of these is likely to be true. At least not in the Third Age, because the cult is not acceptable most of the time. The Yelmic authority suppresses it, and allows very few people to become priests, whatever. Because Shargash is not just a war god -- he is the god of destruction. He destroyed the world in the darkness, and he tries to destroy it every time he gets loose. He is a cannibal, a monster, a necessary evil at times, but a caged entity at all others. Note in GRoY that he is only able to act after all of the other good/acceptable gods are dead.

People who worship Shargash do terrible things. A war regiment dedicated to Shargash would consider it their duty to massacre every living thing in their way -- women, children, animals. Then they would destroy the village, burn all the crops, and raze a few acres of the surrounding forest. They cannot be controlled.

As Greg once said to me, (paraphrased): when the troops start worshiping Shargash, the officers all know they have screwed up badly, and it is time to lighten up in a major way, let them have liberty once in awhile, don't kill so many of them as examples, etc.

The "Shargash" cult in Alkoth, IMO, is so watered down by now that it bears little resemblance to the original; I think the description in GRoY is very old, and not so much the case nowadays. It is truly a cult of Alkor, the City God.

I understand that much of what Martin says comes ultimately from Greg, but so does much of what I say. Much of this I chalk up to interpretation, some of the rest to Greg's mood at a given time. I agree with Peter Metcalf that most "worship" of Shargash currently is through the Yelm the Warrior "subcult" of the primary Yelm cult. If there is such a thing anymore, it's hard to know anymore....

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com