Re: Truestone

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 15:46:23 +1000 (EST)

MOB mobilises:
>Once divine spells are cast from the Truestone,it can be 'refilled' with others
>up to the amount of points it can store. The new spells do not have to be the
>same as those that were in it before, nor even from the same cult! Thus a 7
>point stone can be filled with any 7 points of divine magic, and used (and then
>refilled) by anyone who knows divine magic.

Hmm, I think I'd prefer that it could be refilled with other spells *from the same deity or deities*. Thus a truestone storing sheild 3 (from Orlanth), Turn Face to Ice Cream 2 (Eurmal) and True Breast (Uleria) could actually store any 3 points of Orlanth magic, any two points of Eurmal magic (though Eurmal may well be an exception to every rule!) and any 1 point of Uleria magic. It just depends on who cast the spells into it when the truestone was set. It also allows for runepoints.

> This makes Truestone pretty potent I know, but IMO it bloody well should be!

It's already potent on the hero plane, if the various heroquest variants are correct about its properties. Since it already stores rune magic its already potent on the material plane. Giving the ability to refill any spell from the deity rather than just the spells with which it was set makes it more potent than the original writings made it.

I quite like the idea that 90% of truestone has things like Berserk, Face Chaos etc! Let's see you get a blank truestone from the &^%^$# Stormbullers! Such a truestone, besides *what* it can do, is the major part of the Temple treasury whether it hold 1 point or 200 points. Given the RQ3 necessity that most priests have at least 10pts of spells/runepower/whatever, even getting a couple of priests and acolytes together on a blank truestone is going to make a nice piece of rock very powerful *for that cult* (IMHO).

> [Hmmm, a question: do people get an irresistable urge to cast all their
> divine magic into the Block, or has it already been 'set', and if so, by
> who?]

Yep, that's why anyone touching the Block 'loses' all their magic - actually they cast it into the Block. Of course it has been set! Glorious Stormbull, by using it to fold, spindle and mutilate the Devil (TM) set it in its current position :-)

Robert