Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:14:09 +0000

Peter Metcalfe writes:

> Perhaps you could try reading the Dragon-slaying myths which
> written down and find out that Orlanth simply did a variation
> of being swallowed and cutting his way out when he fought Aroka?
>
> KoS p70 'Orlanth strode into its mouth and seized the upper jaw

	> with his hands and place his foot against its lower jaw,
	>and with a shout of victory tore the dragon asunder'.

Maybe I did read it, maybe (strange idea, I know) I do put some thought into my arguments and don't just make up the facts as I need them, maybe you should credit people with more judgement than you do.

Anyway, back to the point. Orlanth "strode into its mouth ... and with a shout of victory tore the dragon asunder". Doesn't sound like someone being eaten. Maybe it is poetic licence, but I would prefer to think not.

Giants/Man Rune
Gragonewts:
> Naturally as they are lefthanded and have a tail, unlike say
> dwarves, elves, trolls, humans etc.

Ducks have tails, ogres are left handed - which of these are not linked to the Man Rune?

Stephen Martin:

> I think that there is really no distinction between the lesser and
> giants, despite what Elder Secrets and Griffin Mountain imply. Gonn Orta
> started out as a run of the mill giant, just as Boshbisil did (is). If a
> giant survived long enough, and does the right kind of giant things, he
> or she can survive to become an Elder Giant. Note that Gonn Orta is not
> an elder giant _yet_, though he is well on his way to becoming one.

But the baby in the Cradle is of such a length that she is clearly not of normal giant stock - I can't remember how long she is (being at work) but I have the impression that she was immense. A 16m giant would have a baby that is between 2m and 3m tall (going by similarities to human forms), not one that is capable of swatting adventurers with her chubby little fist.

Owen Jones:

> Clearly relativley small giants have not grown from babies the size of the
> famous baby in the cradle, but it doesn't follow that you have two sorts
> of giants, just that the size of the baby depends upon the size of the
>mother.

But think of the logistics of Gonn Orta (who fathered the baby) and a big giant of, say, 16m - there is a 1000% size difference here - imagine making it with a woman 18 cm tall - Barbie Doll size. Clearly, Gonn Orta is of a different scale to tghe lesser giants.

Anyway, got to go.

Simon

Simon Phipp
Back in the land of the living