Initiations

From: Paul2.Harmaty <Paul2.Harmaty_at_aig.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:51:27 -0500

Arf speculates on Storm Bull initiation...
> Would he have to fight a chaos foe, lose the ear, nearly die.

Absolutely !
After fighting the chaos foe, the ear could be removed as a sign of successful initiation.
The chaos foe would not have to remove the ear, neither must the initiate nearly die, however
he must have a chance to die and sometimes prospective initiates do die!

> At this point, the Initiation begins to me to sound like a heroquest.
> Or perhaps that's the way Initiation should be

You've got it right.
Initiation IS a heroquest. It sets you apart from others and introduces you to inner secrets.
In the case of a SB initiation, you learn what chaos "looks & feels" like, and the joy of slaying it!
A minor heroquest, but the first step required to follow the path of your chosen God.
Anything less than this wouldn't really be an initiation. IMO (of course)

Paul Harmaty
Dragons live forever, but not so little boys - - - - - - - - - - - - -