Gorgorma and Shargash

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:48:59 +1300

Horace:

>Gorgorma and Lodril have runes perculiar to themselves. I assume the
>Lodril rune is a sub-form of fire/heat, is that right? Gorgorma's is
>more mysterious - - the solid horizontal line through the sphere of
>darkness.

Gorgorma's rune in GoG is the Shadow Rune. Lodril's is the heat rune.

David Cake:

>(who ever would have thought that you would have to argue that Shargash
>was the son of Yelm, and a separate being?) is to say that the view that
>Martin holds is what your average Shargashi grunt might actually believe
>in Alkoth,

If David cares to look at theology in medieval times, he would find that what the commoner believes is usually what the Philosopher says. Are the Saints totally seperate beings from God? Is Krishna totally seperate from Vishnu? Is the fish totally seperate from the ocean in which he swims? I find it very difficult to believe in the obvious RW collarary of his compromise that because the people who proclaimed the Trinity were philosophers and theologicians, the average believer was an arian!

The whole relationship of Shargash with Yelm is the stuff of Myth and is _known_ to every Alkothi from the very start. It is replayed every year. It is the equivalent of the Ring of Orlanth or the Necklace of Pamalt. Are the Lightbringers seperate from Orlanth? Mere appeals to reason (look up in the sky!) to disprove that Shargash is seperate from Yelm do not work because the Alkothi knows in his heart that they are.