minor yelm

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:46:58 +1300

Chris Wehman:

>Avarnia&Tholm(Falconers)

Avarnia is the goddess of quails and a food goddess.

>If Yuthubars was a city then Yelm himself was the god of that
>particular city.

Not quite. They worshipped the Sun. The name Yelm is merely a label which the Dara Happans have given him and exists post-dawn. The Sun does not care what name people know him by so long as he is worshipped. He has been known as Kargzant, Somash, Elmal and Antirius. Thus we cannot assume that the GRAY is correct when it tells us that the God was known as Yelm in Yuthubars.

[Sagittus]

>So in my frame of reference they would put him in the role of a servant of
>Yelm, whereas you would say he *is* Yelm the Archer. I think that the
>reason this doesn't occur is because there are separate myths in a
>GRoY/Yelmgatha caused Dara Happan revival and the people are located near
>enough to the places where this stuff supposedly happened.

In Dara Happa, most scholars know that the myths they have are not gospel. They have been changed by confused memories during the Great Darkness. It's not the Yelmgatha revival that set up the Yelm myths but the original Khordavu Dynasty. They knew that 'Yelm' had done many things before the Great Darkness and sort to combine many myths to arrive at what they thought was the original cult that had been lost.

So Sagittus was a local cult of archers - but they transformed him by including other archer mythos into his rituals to make him into a part of Yelm that had been lost to them. So Sagittus is a servant of Yelm in that he guards Yelm's archery secrets but he is also Yelm in his Archery manifestation.