Newcomers, Darksense

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 23:34:40 EST

James Turner <lib155_at_abdn.ac.uk>
What is this digest for?

>About this digest:-
>I thought that this was a forum for anyone to ask questions about
>Glorantha not just for people who have been playing in or writing about
>it for years.

Long before I ever got onto the Digest, I heard this and similar complaints, especially back when RuneQuest: Adventures in Glorantha was in full swing. I myself much prefer what I saw of the old Digest, when it was separate from the Dailies.

I have less interest in mundane matters than Glorantha itself, and that is the main reason I did not address your question. I assumed that someone else would, however. I think even the most basic questions are welcome, though I think it is true that they will fail to interest most of the people on the Digest. It is the nature of the beast, sorry to say.

Note, however, that persistence can pay off. The recent Storm Bull question had to be asked three times, I think, before it got a flood of replies. Especially with basic questions, I have a tendency to _not_ answerm, because it is kind of boring to see ten people providing the conversion rate from Lunars to Wheels (for example). If you have problems witha question not being answered, I would suggest you repost it once every 4 or so days (that's about 13-15 Digests).

"Daniel McCluskey (Volt Comp)" <a-daniem_at_microsoft.com> RE: sonar musings.

>First, I really think that the "carrier" of darksense should be
>darkness. I realize that this conflicts with TrollPack, but I have a
>VERY hard time with the Trolls primary sense requiring air to work...

Indeed, who reaqlly needs "air" in _Glorantha_ to conduct Darksense? Although it is based on sound, note that senses and communication don't automatically have to be carried in/on some medium in Glorantha, since it is a magical world. Why should Air, the element supposedly most connected with Smell, have anything to do with sound, hearing, or Darksense at all?

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com