Troll sonar

From: Bill.McKinley_at_mailhost.dpie.gov.au
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:06:00 +1100

                      Troll sonar                                  31/1/97
James Frusetta enunciated:

>I'm also curious -- are there examples of echolocation "glare"? (I've been
writing up something along these lines). A critter that gives off a strong blast of subsonic sound to repel enemies, but to defend rather than to attack, like the orca? Perhaps not RW, frex, if echolocation is a device primarily used by predators (which it seems to me, from what I know), but maybe in Glorantha...

Creatures that were capable of hearing into the frequencies used by troll sonar would be able to hear trolls coming, perhaps at a greater distance than the trolls could scan/search. Instead of using sound blasts as a defence, perhaps some predatees might use passive sonar to avoid their trollish hunters?

Bill McKinley