shargashargashargash...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:50:32 +1300

Martin Laurie:

Me>>The idea of a division between Shargash and Yelm seems to me ugly.

>But the diversity and roleplaying fun it creates is tremendous, escpecially
>when you realise that there are actual differences in the _Yelm_ cult
>dependant on which city in the Tripolis you are from.

As I said before, I'm talking about how the initiate percieves the relationship between Shargash and Yelm. I agree absolutely that there is a difference in the Yelm Cult based on what city you came from (not just the Tripolis - even the Darjiinians have Yelmics too). I was making an issue of this because there seemed to be a line of thought that Yelm is a _Foreign_ God from Raibanth. It was this that I didn't like and I was trying to counter it by saying that Yelm and Shargash are very close in terms of worldview in Alkoth.

[snip details]

>If Shargash were just a mask of Yelm all this would be missing and so would
>half of the fun.

I don't think Shargash is 'just a mask of yelm' and I don't think that because Shargash is seen by most Alkothi as intimately connected with Yelm, all this politics should vanish. Everybody agrees on the basics. The Politics are in the details.

>How would you play a Shargashi warrior?

I have thought of using the Aztec warriors as a model but they fight crap (mainly because they fought as individuals and in a ritualistic manner). Proper Shargashi should be able to subdue their sense of self when fighting in a group.

There is a report by Polybius (a Greek) expressing shock at what happened when the Romans sacked a city - they slew everything, including the animals. So I think the Roman worship of Mars should be looked at considering that the Romans are reckoned to be civilized. There is an Italic tribe called the Mamertines (Mamers being a variant of Mars) that triggered the First Punic War (they took a city and refused to quit), unfortunately I don't know much about them.

When treating prisoners, the Narmer Palette should be followed (hit prisoner over head with big mace). Perhaps they cut bodyparts off as a tally of how many people they've killed.

Dave Pearton:

Me>> Mere appeals to reason (look up in the sky!) to disprove that
>> Shargash is seperate from Yelm do not work because the Alkothi
>> knows in his heart that they are.

>Pardon? Why does the Alkothi "know in his heart" that Shargash is the
>same as Yelm?

I have not said that Shargash is the same as Yelm. I am denying the Alkothi view him as _seperate_ from Yelm like they do with Umatum.

>The two have seperate myths, astronomical bodies and aspects!

So is Lightfore a part of Yelm or not?