Bishops & Linguistics

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:48:55 -0500 (EST)

MOB's mention of Leonidas Polk reminds me of what I always thought was one of the great black humor moments in the Civil War: General Sherman writing cheerfully home: "We killed Bishop Polk this morning." Almost up to the level of General Sedgewick's last words: "Don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis --"

Jane Williams asks:
"Now, how can we get these minor differences of dialect (?) and useage into Glorantha??? Do northern Sartarites address everyone as "love", and wonder why southern Sartarites get upset?"

The real world story about this is that Anthony Eden referred to everyone that he knew well as "my dear," which did not "endear" him to either Dwight Eisenhower or John Foster Dulles (with possible unfortunate consequences in the 1956 Suez affair).

Jim Chapin