City Gods?

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:26:43 -0500 (EST)

> Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz> noted...
> >
> Joerg Baumgartner:
> ==================
>
> DC>>Likewise the initiates in the City God sacrifice POW but are virtually
> >>lay members.
>
> >Well, I believe that City Gods do provide lots of associate divine magic
> for
> >the point of POW sacrificed. A bit like the Seven Mothers (a cult with
> >_only_ associate or common divine spells from the single Mothers).
>
> This seems redundant to me as most people are members of another
> god as well as the City God and get their magic from the other cult.
> Let us say that Jonstown is associated with Orlanth. Most people
> who belong to the City God will belong to Orlanth and can get his
> spells from his Priests. Pavis is exceptional as the City God is
> a fusion of different cultures.

           I would guess that the nature of the spells the City God gets would depend on the nature of the city's founding Hero. Since Pavis dealt with a diverse assortment of peoples the cultist get an unusual assortment of spells, but I would guess that most city cults would get a few spells that their founder used/acquired or perhaps even invented.

          "Guess" is the operative word here; I'm not an RQ Sage Lord, alas. Have any City or regional deities been developed other than Pavis?

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...