Re: metal magic

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:02:11 -0800

At 05:48 +0000 02-01-97, owner-glorantha_at_erzo.org wrote:

Steve Martin wrote

> A very long time ago, in an APAzine far, far away, Dave Dunham printed a
> Cult of Voinauken, the God of Metal. The cult was one of smiths, of
> course (though there were other aspects). One of the cult spells, or
> maybe it was Divine Intervention, allowed the smith to create something
> unique. He could change the color of the metal, or forge a shirt of
> linked rings without having to bend all the rings into place or sew them
> onto leather. Or you could make the metal transparent, or have a nice
> smell, I suppose.

My goodness, I'd forgotten about that myself. Here's the cult's assorted spell descriptions (in RQ3 terms):

Enhance Metal 2 points, Ritual (Enchant), Reusable

        This ritual allows the enhancement of a batch of metal to include some unusual property. Possibilities include flexibility, transparency, a specific color, etc. The hit points of an object cannot be increased in this manner.

Enter Metal 3 points, Ritual (Enchant), One-use

        Allows the Priest's spirit to enter a batch of metal. When the metal is poured off, a metal object of the caster's choice will remain. The spirit can stay in the object as long as it likes, and will be able to cast divine magic like a Magic Spirit. The spirit cannot normally be compelled to do so by the owner of the object. The caster's spirit will retain all his knowledge, allowing him to pass on the art of Metallurgy to the owner of the object (though he will usually require that some payment be made to the Temple of Voinauken). If the metal object breaks, the spirit will leave in disgrace.

Protect Metal 2 points, Ranged, Temporal, Nonstackable, Reusable

        Protects a metal object from any damage (except from critical hits). Magical attacks against the object must first overcome the MP of the priest. Armour which is Protected stops half again the normal amount of damage.

Withstand Heat 1 point, Touch, Temporal, Stackable, Reusable

        For each point used, allows the Priest to withstand temperatures of 100=B0C above normal.

> I always thought it would have been more appropriate for the god of
> Elempur to have defected, and joined the invading Ram People. Elem-pur,
> Elem-alus -- it seems a perfect way to explain why a Sun God is a thane
> of Orlanth.

Sounds plausible. Especially given some of Greg's stuff I saw recently (pardon the reference to unpublished material) where the Orlanthi call the 32nd Dara Happan emperor "Korzelm" (the Dara Happans say "Khorzanelm") -- the Orlanthi tend to shorten DH words.

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #149