New Comers

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 22:52:40 +0000

Trent Smith talks about the worrying detail that has no real meaning:

> and I wanted to include all of the great detail in my game, but my players
just >weren't all that interested. I'd give them photocopied handouts and try to explain all >sorts of things, but none of it really affected their lives as Riskland farmers and >they were left with the impression that RQ is pretty much just like every other rpg but >with lots of unnecessary extra background detail. My next attempt to incorporate all >of the wonderful stuff I'd been reading was to give the PCs a guided tour of
>Peloria, but that completely backfired and gave my players the impression that
>RQ is a boring rpg because of all the extra background detail.

 This is a valid point. IMG I have offered the characters the chance to access the entire of my RQ/Glorantha library to enhance their gaming purposes. Of course, since I had difficulty getting them to read my Player's Guide, anything more extensive seemed impossible. The reason behind this is that Glorantha-philes can't understand why no-one else shares their passion - -- so to make full use of the RQ material available (KoS, GRoY etc..) you all have to be fanatics. This is *amazing* fun when it happens, look at Pam Carlson's Alkothi campaign which runs itself, Pendragon Pass, the Orionela campaign by Dave Dunham (can't remember the exact name, sorry) -- all immense fun but requiring that everyone have a comprehensive knowledge of Glorantha.

 Sure, print GROY and KoS -- where would Glorantha be without them? But Glorantha also needs Apple Land, Lords of Terror, Dorastor etc... in other words, adventures and campaigns, to introduce new players. I think too many people get caught up in the niggling points of Glorantha (I think of my own conversation on the existence of time before time, intresting and informative but wholly useless) to remember that it's a game and we play it. More MOB adventures!!!!

[someone else]
>I'm part of group who hack and slay around Glorantha on
>fantastic journeys rather than the real political intrigue you guys are
capable
>of...

My God man, what do you think you're saying? This is the *Glorantha* Digest, they'll burn you alive.... :)

[another]
> 1. Although lacking trendy "emperor lists", the God Learner's
>game supplements *were* playable, interesting, and reasonably
>consistent with each other.

 Again, trying to explain the trans-cultural nature of Glorantha and the wide variety of varying myths describing the same situation with a cunningly well hidden but still recognisable basic structure is all very nice but the same question I always get thrown back at me is "does that affect my stats?" I play 1/week, not always RQ, with a wide variety of people. I can't explain the intricities of Glorantha to them, but have to do my best.  This means the the simple GL viewpoint works. Not to say that I think that Glorantha should suddenley loose this tremendous wealth of creativity just to cater to the Newbies, but to make it far more easy to access. No problems, no worrying troubles. At first Glorantha should *seem* to be a lot like any other RPG, because that makes it all the easier to play.

[more and more and more and more people discussing the complexity and general uselessness of info to the general gamer]

Get the point?

Tower of Night
- ---------------

>Talking about vampires, does anyone has any info concerning the promised
>"tower of darkness" supplement introduced in "Lords of Terror"?

 Dead. Deader than dead could be. RQ:AiG? Dead. Soldiers of the Red Moon? Dead. G:tG? Not looking hopeful doctor, we should never have amputated David Hall....

All IMVHO,

Nikk E.
Nikk the Broo Shaman of Thed
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff