Sense and Sensibility

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 17:08:22 +1100

G'day all,

Sense and Sensibility

Buggered if I know where, but I'm pretty sure I read that it is rumoured Mistress Race trolls can "kill with a glance". Is this a human misunderstanding of the deadly way the Uzuz can use their sonar?

Thomas Doniol-Valcroze:
>Oh gee. This mail is *very* long. I'm sorry. I'm afraid I can speak
>about marine mammals for a very long time...

Please do! (BTW, I'm sorry about your unrequited passion for Ms Whitewings. I guess some things just weren't meant to be!)

Pride and Prejudice

Mark Sabalauskas Top Ten List:
> 1. Although lacking trendy "emperor lists", the God Learner's
>game supplements *were* playable, interesting, and reasonably
>consistent with each other.

Hear hear!

I think there's a place on the Digest for everyone's Gloranthan taste, from erudite displays of anally-retentive quasi-academic textual analysis of Stafford's wastepaper basket at one extreme to cathartic anthropowanking shamanistic bottom-sniffing at the other. The gonzo goofball gaming I like so much probably sits somewhere in the middle, but can't exist without the others.

We can all work out where we fit on the slide, but the key is a good >>balance<< (that mysterious Lunar sixth sense). The easiest way to get stuff you're interested in up on the Digest is to >>post it yourself<< and watch people run with it*. And if you don't think you've got the answers, just ask the questions!

*Ok, so sometimes we get no takers: it happens. (About a month ago a posted a long and what I thought would have been controversial piece about a "False Red Emperor", implying there'd been a good few of 'em since. Not a bite, not even a post saying, "MOB your piece sucked eggs: leave the ancient history stuff to the experts and go back to your whacko MGF schtick." Not to mind, I'll probably just dust it off in a year or so and try again...)

Persuasion

Erik Sieurin asks about Ulerian practices:
>MOB _might_ be interested in the fact that "ficus" in Swedish is not
>only the term for a type of plant, it also means "faggot" in the
>meaning of "gay"... Thus I wonder what kind of Ulerian practices
>_really_ was in that document... :-)

As my Read Swedish skill is limited to 'Volvo' means 'Boxy vehicle often driven by people who drive like they've got their eyes shut', eg. about 00%, I didn't know this. Though this is a convincing clue that Ficus's master work has a broader scope than previously imagined, unfortunately virtually all of it is lost somewhere in the temple's underground archives (though, as I said before, divinations *have* proven it still exists).

Clueless
(okay, it's the best I can do trying to keep with the Jane Austen theme)

Pope Jim:

 >MOB's mention of Leonidas Polk reminds me of what I always thought was
 >one of the great black humor moments in the Civil War: General Sherman
 >writing cheerfully home: "We killed Bishop Polk this morning."

I just checked out Bishop Polk's grisly demise, some 1456 pages further in (at the rate I'm reading, it'll take me longer to finish the book than the war took to fight!) What a spectacularly gruesome way to go - shot clean through by an artillery shell - though it was pretty dumb of him and the other Confederate Generals to have a nice chat on a hilltop in full view of the enemy! (The Bishop copped it because while the other generals scarpered when the first shell lobbed in, he "a portly figure apparently mindful of his own dignity, walked off slowly by himself, hands clasped behind his back as if in deep thought". He obviously forgot the Biblical adage: never put god to the test.)

I guess the Gloranthan equivalent would be stepping over the 100m range limit for divine magic to have a good look at the enemy lines, though IMG there's a common divine spell called "Range" which adds 100m per point to most ranged divine magic.

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes From Nochet files:
(XXIX.12-49.a) Why the earth is round, by Columbus Mercator, Chief Priest. The shape of the earth must be spherical. For every one of its parts has weight until it reaches the center, and thus when a smaller part is pressed upon by a larger, it cannot surge around it, but each is packed close to, and combines with, the other until the reach the center. If particles are moving from all sides alike to one point, the center, the resulting mass must be similar on all sides for an equal quantity is added all round: the extremity must be at a constant distance from the center. Such a shape is a sphere.