Polk meets the Lunars

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 11:08:29 -0500 (EST)

MOB writes:
>I just checked out Bishop Polk's grisly demise, some 1456 pages further
>... What a spectacularly gruesome way to go - shot clean through by an
>artillery shell - though it was pretty dumb of him and the other
>Confederate Generals to have a nice chat on a hilltop in full view
>of the enemy! <snip>
>I guess the Gloranthan equivalent would be stepping over the 100m range
>limit for divine magic to have a good look at the enemy lines, though
>IMG there's a common divine spell called "Range" which adds 100m per
>point to most ranged divine magic.

Oho! I've got a better suggestion.
Contrary to popular Hollywood belief, the ancients -- at least Alexander: tG and the Romans -- did use field artillery. A good torsion catapult could lob off a 50 pound stone or bolt about 300 meters, which isn't bad at all. The stuff apparently was decently accurate, but it lacked a precise mission. (I've not seen reference to such in the medieval period, so either its use was forgotten (until cannon) or historians have just missed it.)

Now, I'd argue the Lunars could put these things to good use. The scenario: battling the Sartarites.

LUNAR SOLDIER: "Lord general! Our left flank is being forced back. The   barbarian rune priests shower our men with lightning bolts!" FAZZUR: "Well, we'd better tidy that lot up. Run this message over   to the fellows in the artillery units, will you?"    (several minutes pass: then, the furious and multiple twangings of     torsion ballistae)
JAMESIO POLK, PRIEST OF ORLANTH: "Oh, shi---ARRRGH!" FAZZUR: "Ho ho! Should have taken Great Parry there, old boy. Cavalry,   ch-arge!"

Best part about this is that 300 meter range -- even taking it down to 200, to retain most of the blow -- is nicely out of rune magic distance. An "increase missile weapon range" spell counters "increase rune magic range." And even if you lose artillery crews to the enemy, it's a lot easier and cheaper to train new crews and built new artillery than it is to train a priest or massed magicians. Sort of a "poor man's" massed magic - -- IMO, developed after Sheng Seleris thrashed the Empire and slaughtered many magic types. Useful enough to keep around from that period onward, after you've replaced your magical losses. And you can get a _lot_ more shots off than you can rune magic...

So you keep the artillery back and pick off rune levels, shades, sylphs, hellhounds, tarantulas, dream dragons, Hungry Jack, ducks, what have you. This gives it a purpose it never (could have) had in the RW, and encourages use. You can use it for harassing fire, too (Alexander did this at Pelium to cover a river crossing). The technology seems to be there, judging from the Harpoon. All you need is the tactical innovation, which the Lunars provide. (Sorry: you may well have all this in Soldiers of the Red Moon, but since I've not seen it... :)

Nomads of Pent, if they're using Mongol bows, have the range to do it too. Might explain some of the Lunar's problems with the same.