various subjects

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 14:11:35 EST

Simon Phipp
Digest #147

Associate Priests of Yelm join _Yelm the Elder_, not Yelm proper. By this, I assume that they join Buserian, or a limited subcult of Yelm at best. I don't recall exactly what spells Yelm the Elder has access to from the cult write-up, but I would suggest that they _not_ have access to the best ones, such as Sunspear or Resurrect.

Dave Dunham
Digest #147

Rage Bellower as a title of Storm Bull is taken from Glorantha: Genertela. I've never seen anyone address or even use it before now, though. I have a subcult of Orlanth which gives a Divine spell called Storm Voice, which allows the caster to be heard up to 1/2 km away per point of spell. I could see the Storm Bulls having access to this or a similar spell, called Rage Bellow. However, some sort of close range attack spell (to deafen or stun the opponent right in front of the Berserker) would be a lot more fun.

James Frusetta
Digest #149

Darksee _does_ shield trolls from the effects of daylight:

"Allows creatures which _sense_ best in full daylight to "see" in the dark as if it were full daylight. Creatures which are primarily nocturnal can "see" in full daylight as if it were the dark to which they are accustomed. It negates the effects of sunlight on trollkin and cave trolls. It negates Blinding as well."

Note that the emphasis on "sense" above is mine, as are the quotations around both uses of the word "see".

Chris Wehman
Digest #151

>Note that Sagittus is a servant of Yelm
>yet in the God's Wall is in Row III(i.e. not to be generally worshipped
>during the first 50K years of the empire). This might be an error by
>Pletonius, though.

Correct -- this is not Urengerum, this is Brightface, the Sun God of someplave in Pelanda or Naveria, I don't remember exactly where. Note that probably half the gods on the Gods Wall are either misnamed or misrepresented by Plentonius, who was trying to show why the whole universe descended from Yelm. Some of these are in the footnotes, others are not.

>GRoY states that Lorkarnos was not his son but a servant and imperial
officer.

In GRoY (Ivory), pg. 89, part of thePre-Dawn Risings are Entekos and her two new children, Vendara (aka Annhilla from the Gods Wall) and Lokarnos. Since Entekos the planet is also called Dendara, I assume that these new children are Yelm's as well, though I could be wrong.

Your point about Urengerum not being Yelm's son either is well-taken, though since I think Yelm is a created god to unify Dara Happa, I don't believe that Shargash or Buserion were originally Yelm's sons either. However, in the Third Age they most certainly are, and I think most people would say that Lokarnos was as well. Erissa is not said in GRoY to be Yelm's daughter, but in the published cult write-up she is, as is Sagittus.

Erik Sieurin
Digest #151

>I've long thought that the Durulz' love for Humakt stems from the fact
that the
>major threat to Durulz culture is Undead.

I believe this as well. When trying to come up with a new rune to mean Undead (since the original. Undead Rune was renamed Hunger by Chaosium), Eric Rowe and I finally decided that a duck-originated rune would be best, hence the cracked egg used in The Book of Drastic Resolutions, Volume Chaos. In fact, we theorized that the anti-undead aspect of Humakt may have come originally from the ducks, though this is by no means certain, even to me. Given their location near Delecti's Swamp, however, I think it certainly is a possibility.

Daniel McCluskey
Digest #151

>(note that ALL of an enlo counts as below the knee, of course)

:)

MOB
Digest #153

>*Ok, so sometimes we get no takers: it happens. (About a month ago a
posted
>a long and what I thought would have been controversial piece about a
>"False Red Emperor", implying there'd been a good few of 'em since. Not
>a bite, not even a post saying, "MOB your piece sucked eggs: leave the
ancient
>history stuff to the experts and go back to your whacko MGF schtick."
Not to
>mind, I'll probably just dust it off in a year or so and try again...)

Well, I don't recall seeing this post. However, if it was in the middle of Part 35 of a scenario (or was that part 33 resent?), or a long discussion of Yelm, I might have skipped right by it.

Fortunate Succession specifically states that there were "False Red Emperors". Since the Red Emperor is said to have died in a couple of places, and Greg very specifically denies that he died there, I think these Proxies definitely must have been pretending to be the Emperor.

Fortunate Succession, pg. 67: Venerabilis creates the Gold Proxy to avoid having to undergo the Golden Rituals.

Ibid: Reclusus creates the Silver Proxy, and the Bronze, Brass, and Bone Proxies to rid himself of duties which took him away from his hobbies.

Ibid, pg. 68: Ignifer "personally led groups of people through the capitasl to whip the false Proxies out..." I note that KoS says the Red Emperor was killed at the Battle of Boldhom in 1602 (7/31), though Greg has denied this. Sounds like a False Proxy being sent to his death to me.

I hope I got the use of ibid right, I can never remember half of those Latinish terms.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com