Olive Trees, Strange Yelm Myth

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 16:29:24 EST

Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Re: Bronze age and Glorantha

>(BTW olive trees: where do they grow in Genertela? The border between
olive
>tree farming and grain farming tended to coincide the border between
>philosophical civilisations and primarily military ones (before their
>migrations southwards). Of course, this border shifted along with the
>climate shifts, and these caused at least some of the migrations...)

Although it doesn't seem to me to fit why you want them, I think Esrolia might well have some, I have always seen ancient Esrolia as being the equivalent of ancient (i.e., pre-Dorian, pre-Zeus is King of the Gods) Greece.

A long while back, before GRoY had reached the stage it has now, I made a number of myths which tried to reconcile the Orlanthi Yelm beliefs and the Lightbringes with the Dara Happan version of reality. Sort of a way to combine the two mythologies into one, a century or two after Argrath. One of the myths is not finished, and some of them are so far off now that I should just erase them, but a couple still seem to have some potential, though the first is more of a God Learner attempt at unification than anything.

THE UR-YUTHUPPA BOOK
Lost and Suppressed Solar Myths

THE ASCENSION OF YELM
Yelm was always the Emperor of the world, but a time came when the Old Gods chose Yelm to become Emperor of the Universe, to bring the Golden Age. Yelm accepted this great honor, for only he could. He ascended Aether's Pillar on a stair of ten steps, and sat upon the Throne, from which he could see the entire universe.

    After an immortal time of consideration, Yelm stood and set his new order upon the universe. He divided it into quarters, and named the Directions, their Colors and Powers, and the Regent of that part of his realm. He gave each of them a fraction of his justice, so that they could bring light to the corners of the universe.

    That which lay before Yelm was called East. He named its color to be Yellow and its power to be Illumination, and named Metsyla the Phoenix to be the Regent of the East, giving him the Orb. A beautiful city grew beneath Metsyla's feet, and he was praised as the Emperor of Kralorela.

    That which lay to Yelm's left was called North. He named its color to be White and its power to be Wisdom, and named his loyal son Murharzarm to be the Regent of the North. Murharzarm ascended the five-tiered throne, and was invested as the Emperor of Dara Happa with the Double Crown.

    That which lay behind Yelm was called West. He named its color to be Red and its power to be Sovereignty, and named beautiful Sedenya to be the Regent of the West. A great tiered temple was built, and Sedenya was enshrined as the Empress of the Golden Land, holding the Scepter.

    That which lay to Yelm's right was called South. He named its color to be Green and its power to be Innocence, and named young Cronis to be the Regent of the South. A seat was prepared, and the Girdle placed upon him, and Cronis was celebrated as the Emperor of the South.

    Then Yelm called his family and followers to him, from all of the Four Quarters, and created the Perfect Palace. He set Dayzatar in the sky above him, and Lodril in the realm below. He named the other gods and goddesses, confirming their powers and title, and gave each of them their place in the world. Thus was made the perfect Celestial Court, which lasted for 100,000 years of perfection.

THE CONTESTS OF ORLANATUS
When Yelm established the universe, there was room for everything and every deity but one. That one was Yumatum, who could not or would not accept Yelm's plan for the world, which did not include him. He was sent out of the Golden Realm, beyond the edges, and there he brooded in darkness and silence. At last he created a son, whom he sent to wrest rulership of the universe from Yelm. Orlanatus was a beautiful child, and at first was much-loved in the Golden Realm. But he was always getting into trouble, and he quickly became very good at it, as his father had planned.

    When Orlanatus arrived in the Golden Realm, Molamin and the Celestial Hosts were performing a great ballet for Yelm. Orlanatus toddled among the dancers in search of his mother, tripping each of them and ruining the symmetry of the dance. When one of them scolded him, he began to cry, and was taken from the room.

    Hyaros took up the Harp of Harmony, and soon everyone, even Orlanatus, quieted to hear the heavenly music. Orlanatus enjoyed the music so much that he wished to contribute to it, and so he took his horns and started to blow them. Everyone was shocked at his behavior, and he was again taken from the room, his bullroarer taken from him and thrown away.

    As Orlanatus grew, he excelled in moving and athletics. He soon bested all of the other children, and in a fit of boasting challenged Lodril to a wrestling match. Lodril easily defeated the braggart, knocking his horns off, though he had all but one finger tied behind his back.

    After the wrestling contest, the other children began to make fun of Orlanatus, calling him lost horn and motherless. Orlanatus denied this, and the other children challenged him to prove the truth of his parentage. Orlanatus travelled to each of the one hundred goddesses, asking if they were his mother, but none of them would claim him. Finally, he returned and said the invisible goddess was his mother, and that she was greater than any of the goddesses because no one could know her except him. But since the invisible goddess did not exist, he was punished for lying, and sent to his room.

    Because he had no parents, Orlanatus had no place in the Celestial Court. When Yelm had a contest to decide who would be the god of poetry, Orlanatus decided to enter, along with many other gods. Skovarus, son of the pig goddess, ...

YELM'S NEW CHILDREN
When Yelm was in the Underworld, his exercised his powers of Justice and brought his enemies to him. The Rebel Gods came, pursued by the armies of Chaos. Yelm slew the Monster Gods, and showed the rebels the error of their ways. They repented and made obeiscance to the Emperor, and then sacrificed themselves to fuel the Resurrection of God. Yelm raised up Dendara, the true Queen, and freed the other captives from their keepers.

    At the Eastern Gates, Yelm found his daughter Theya waiting. He honored her by allowing her to bring the first glimpse of Light to the darkened world. The Gates of Dawn were opened, and all across the world hopeless people turned to look toward the east, and wondered at the new light which they saw there.

    Then Yelm sent the Repentant Sun to truly show the people that Light had returned to the world. The god leapt joyfully into the sky, and travelled where he willed, bringing light first to one land, then another, until all the world knew his Bright Glory. All across the world, hope returned to the hearts of men, and they knew that the Night Monsters would never rule them again.

    Then Antirius sent Yelm's New Children out, to bring Light back to the shattered peoples of the world. Each bore a piece of Yelm's new light, even brighter than the old. Antirius sent them to purify the world for the return of God, and to restore the peoples of the world to the way of Yelm.

        Buserian came first in robes of purple, Lawgiver and Keeper of Lore. He was sent to return order to the world, and to teach men how to think and remember again. He was given the Light of Knowledge by his lord, and used it to bring Yelm's pure thoughts to the world. He wrote the Law again upon tablets of stone, so that all men would know them and live by them as of old.

    Erissa the White was next, beloved Daughter of Mercy and Bringer of Peace. She was sent to salve the wounds of the earth, and to teach men how to live again. She was given the Light of Life by her lord, and used it to bring Yelm's healing balm to all who sought her.

    Lokarnos was third, bright traveller in robes of yellow. He was sent to restore the broken lines, and to teach men how to speak again. He was given the Light of Communication by his lord, and travelled across the world bringing Yelm's Divine Words to all people. He invented the New Language, so that all men would speak in a common tongue.

    Donandar came last, joyful god of entertainment dressed in blue. He was sent to chase away the last of the shadows, and to teach men how to laugh again. He was given the Light of Joy by his father, and used it to bring Yelm's happiness to each man, woman, and child. He freed the Singers from captivity, and gave them the new songs of praise to teach to all men.

    Yelm's New Children were greeted first by their elder brethren, the gods of Dara Happa. Murharzarm greeted them, and accepted their gifts. Buserian blessed them, and received their blessings in return. Shargash challenged them, as was required, but they answered him properly, and he gave them his protection afterwards. Together, the children of Yelm, Old and New, prepared the people and the world for the return of the True Light.

Of course, Buserian now has too much presence in GRoY for the myth of Yelm's New Children to work. I wonder if another god could be used in his place here?

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com