I was Monty's Double

From: Michael O'Brien <michael.obrien_at_actf.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:08:00

G'day all,

I was Monty's Double

Stephen Martin:
>Fortunate Succession specifically states that there were "False Red
>Emperors". Since the Red Emperor is said to have died in a couple of
>places, and Greg very specifically denies that he died there, I think
>these Proxies definitely must have been pretending to be the Emperor.
>
>Fortunate Succession, pg. 67: Venerabilis creates the Gold Proxy to avoid
>having to undergo the Golden Rituals.
>[goes on to cite numerous other examples from FS]

Yes, yes, I'm well aware of the Proxie concept: in fact, this idea originally germinated from discussions Nick Brooke and I had with Stafford some years ago (and even now we're turning him around on the idea that Great Sister is a *title*, not an individual!).

Unlike the proxies (which appear to be have been deliberately created by the RE to serve him), the piece I posted way back stated that there are times when *rival claimants* aspire to the throne, not to mention usurpers who get raised on their shields, dressed in the Crimson and proclaimed Moonson by their men. Just remember that history is written by the victors...

There'll be loads more on the political structure and inner workings of the Lunar Empire in our soon-to-be-released Lunar Issue and scenery aplenty to choke on in our forthcoming LARP, Reaching Moon Megacorp's Life of Moonson ("he's not the emperor, he's just a very naughty boy").

Peter Metcalfe:
>Oh that! If you really wanted a comment, I noted that you used an
>obslete version of the Emperor's name. It's Artifex, not Aristos
>(Greg's latinisms was corrected by a mycenean scholar) in the Fortunate
>Succession.

Pains me as it does to say this, but the flubb in the name comes about because I was working from, er unpublished notes by Mr Stafford, pre- FS (though I didn't find 'em in his wastepaper basket).

Much chagrined,

MOB

>From the Notes From Nochet files:
(XXIX.12-40/Lonely Lozenge/Filich.doc) The dedicated orthographer abroad cannot afford to miss the spectacle afforded in the western turret of the Filichet Minster Church of the Reaching Moon, Holay. Written in a cunning spiral, upwards, in uncial characters ever-increasing in size, such that when viewed from below the entire text appears to be of equal proportion, a Lunar Invocation:

"The cycles of the Moon are nigh the circles of our lives The Crimson Goddess holds her court amidst her Seven Wives Jalakeel:
priestess of the Black Moon,
source of Lunar Magic

Teelo Norri:
young life of the Crescent,
aid to need that's tragic

Deezola:
healer of the wounded,
Empty Half that binds within

The Goddess:
Mistress of the Heavens,
to her glory softly sing

Yanafal Tarnils:
Full Half that wields the Sword that swiftly strikes the blow for honour

Irripi Ontor:
teacher of the Words,
with the Crescent comes the learned

Danfive Xaron:
Keeper of the Gate,
the Dying Moon that watches over

Seven Phases
Seven Days
Seven Gods for Seven Ways
Hear the Voices
Feel the Power

Lift your Hearts and Sing the Praise!"

Be wary of the zealous temple canons, who seek to to convert the spectator to their erroneous Lunar ways.