March or Die

From: Michael O'Brien <michael.obrien_at_actf.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:57:00

G'day all,

March or Die - where's the Lunar Foreign Legion?

Roderick, "in search of MGF" Robertson wonders:
>Having just caught the first half of March or Die yesterday, the thought
>came to me: "So where's the Lunar Foreign Legion?"

I guess they man isolated outposts among the dunes on the Pentian frontier of the Redlands.

[For more information, see the splendid satire "The Last Remake of Beau Geste". Peter Ustinov plays the ludicrously cruel one-legged martinet officer. While the scene where he rides into the fort on his horse (which also has an artificial limb) is worth the rental price alone, the part where Marty Feldman interacts with Gary Cooper (in his real version) is a hoot too!]

Polk meets the Lunars

James Frusetta:
>And even if you lose artillery crews to the enemy, it's a lot
>easier and cheaper to train new crews and built new artillery than it is
>to train a priest or massed magicians. Sort of a "poor man's" massed magic
> - -- IMO, developed after Sheng Seleris thrashed the Empire and slaughtered
>many magic types. Useful enough to keep around from that period onward,
>after you've replaced your magical losses. And you can get a _lot_ more
>shots off than you can rune magic...

A cunningly-pluasible justification for field artillery in a world where armies can also call down the magical equivalent of napalm strikes! I like it, and hereby invite James to write a boxed section on this to go with material we're planning for a future issue of TotRM.

>JAMESIO POLK, PRIEST OF ORLANTH: "Oh, shi---ARRRGH!"
>FAZZUR: "Ho ho! Should have taken Great Parry there, old boy. Cavalry,
>ch-arge!"

Our civil war general-bishop Polk actually went through life with the much more Lozengely-resonant name "Leonidas" - *James* Polk was, I believe, your 11th President (though his namesake sometimes posts here!).

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes From Nochet files:
(XXIX.12-74.west.news.1) It is said that two people in the whole of Ralios know of every matter which moves therein. One is Suriana Ravenwing,God-Queen of Tanisor, who in forty years of ruling has not grown old: her agents are in the hall of every lord and the fane of every temple. The other, in the northern city of Rilche, is the high priest of their minstrel-hero and founder, Amaril: he knows the name of every wandering minstrel and needs no other spy.