Sonar

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 16:05:15 +0000

> Me
> >By this I mean that ultrasound has to be connected using a similar
> >density medium (KY-Jelly!) to get maximum energy transfer.
> Thomas
> Not in water. I'm positive about dolphins being able to tell if you
> are pregnant without any jelly, and they don't need to be in physical
> contact with you either. It is different in air, indeed. But what
> about Darkness?

I think we are on the same "wavelength" here Thomas. In water (which is a similar density to our bodies; 90% water and all that) a dolphin could scan your insides pretty well. Also I totally agree WRT distance which only knocks off energy with the inverse square law and the scattering and absorption cooefficents of the transmission medium. Interfaces/changes in medium can be far worse.

\begin{politicalviewpoint}
As for loving marine mammals, although I've never dated a dophin! I have a very fond personal view that "whalers" would be a lovely target for Harpoon Anti-Ship Missiles. There's potential poetic justice for you, all we need to do is convince the politicians. \end{politicalviewpoint}

Cheers

        Lewis