Armour replies and elder senses.

From: James Turner <lib155_at_abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 12:43:59 +0000 (GMT)

Well I've just finished reading the 12 or so digests that had arrived over the weekend!
I now know there are many people out there willing to discus more mundane questions, hopefully this will continue. Thanks for all the armour ideas.
>Nick Brooke:-
>maybe "sanctified" armour in the West is enchanted to resist
>non-Malkioni magic only? So pagan and heathen spirit and rune magics
>(and perhaps atheist sorceries?) would be resisted at whatever the
>going rate is(5% per ENC?), but pious wizardly prayers and Saints'
>blessings would be unaffected.

I particularly like this immunity to pagan magic idea. Could Iron armour be enchanted to allow divine magic but suppress sorcery? In warfare it would also be particularly useful to keep some knights in unenchanted armour ready to storm magical defenses and attack the most magical units.

>I can almost see James Turner's bottom lip quivering
>as he sits waiting for someone, anyone to reply to his
>armour question. As my geas prevents me allowing a
>dumb animal to suffer ... no I can't say that :-)

It's exactly this kind of attitude that puts people off Glorantha. New person gets insulted for asking a simple question. Of course some people might like Glorantha to become/remain inaccessible to 'dumb animals'.

On the subject of darksense.
I like the idea of darksense using darkness as a medium, but I think we shouldn't try to analyze the exact physics of how it works. I prefer it to remain some remnants of a magical nature. After all earthsense and elfsense can't be defined in simple terms and require other senses as well. Elfsense requires touch and probably sight, earthsense works by detecting air currents etc, using a whole range of senses.

James Turner.