Theya speaks

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:48:00 -0800

"This is how we people of the Quivini lands talk:

"Because every settled vale has its own local land goddess, the people
who live there become her children and learn to speak like her. That is why we Varmandi talk much like the Malani clans *spit*, who infest the bottom of our vale. We talk a little differently from the Colymar, who are three days walk away. But we can easily understand them, because they are good folk who revere the Goddess in all her forms.

"The Culbrea and the Karandoli have just moved into the area. They
still talk like the Heortland goddesses, but their talk will slowly change as they worship the local goddesses.

"The Hyalorings in Runegate live closer to us, but their Goddess is
married to Elmal instead of Orlanth. This means they talk differently than we do. They are a strange folk, but they are at least civilized. We would trade there, except that they hate us because Varmand used to raid them terribly.

"The horse savages of Jardanroste Polestar are not human. They speak no
human tongue, and have no human customs. They are demons who follow a son of the Evil Emperor. They are horrific reavers and slavers, worse by far than Mad Blood Malan.

"But I have heard from the Orindanae that this new King Arim, who claims
to have married Kero Fin herself, calss himself the Sacred King of all the Land. It must be so, because they say that even Jardanroste fears this king, and that Arim has power even over these demons...

Theya Two Mothers, Godia of the Varmandi, 1355